Protecting Musella lasciocarpa

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

Protecting Musella lasciocarpa

Post by ourarka »

Well I know there is lots of stuff out there, a lot of it conflicting, but these things seem to be quite case specific so thought I would pop a picture on here as your advice is always so good!!

I picked up this Musella lasciocarpa recently at a great price; I had been after one for ages. I just wanted advice on how to get it through the winter unscathed. I am on the south coast, and it is against a wall so should be fairly well protected and hard frosts will (normally) be at a minimum.
Attachments
DSCN1927.JPG
musa_monkey

Re: Protecting Musella lasciocarpa

Post by musa_monkey »

Since its close to a wall i would probably build a little lean to wooden structure
then cover it in plastic sheeting. That should help to make use of any heat radiating from the wall. The only down side is that it would need venting now and again to get some air circulation.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Hi, I've had mine for about 4 years now and it was the first plant that got me into exotics in the first place. The last winter did kill most of the older growth but I think that was my fault as I was running low on straw and still had lots to wrap. About 5 "pups" have continued to grow this year though!
I normally cut all the leaves of and loosely pack straw all around the stems but make sure it's to a good 6" thick! Then I wrap it with a couple of layers of hessian.

Well, it works for me and I'm proud to have kept it for this long, especially after the last couple of winters! It's in the middle of the garden too so there is no benefit from wall heat. The garden is south facing though.
Hope this helps! icon_salut
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks guys - this wall isn't actually a house wall, so won't offer much heat, but the area does get a lot of sun so I figure anything that can keep the worst of the frosts off will do the job. From the sounds of it it is only prolonged very cold weather that will kill it off.