Paulownia - first winter

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
huporhaha

Paulownia - first winter

Post by huporhaha »

I have raised a number (about 40) Paulownia Catalpifolia from seed. They have all put on lots of green growth but nothing you could describe as "woody" yet. Some are looking a bit droopy but I don't want to overwater them. They are all in the greenhouse. Should I just keep them in there over their first winter making sure they don't freeze or do they need more protection. Some are looking decidedly sad today. :oops:
pdid

Re: Paulownia - first winter

Post by pdid »

I`ve just asked near enough the same question in the question time section as I didn`t see this one.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 31&t=14079
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Keep them in the greenhouse over winter, and throughout the next year or ten, too.

To be honest, I can't see Paulownia (of any species) surviving in NW Scotland, it needs a continental climate (hot summers) and shelter from wind.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Thanks Conifers - you've confirmed my suspicions - not a good plant to have up here granted but fun to try!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is a different species to that which I am growing, so I can't comment much. Mine is Paulownia tormentosa They grow about 10 to 12 feet a year here from an autumn coppice, then reduce to one shoot in spring. so although I am warmer I'm hardly continental, particularly this year.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Interesting, please excuse naive question:

I had assumed a Spring coppice (like I do with my Buddleia around Feb time). Is Autumn coppice preferable?

I only half-prune my roses in Autumn too, the full-prune in late Winter, so that there is less chance of cold causing die-back of the stem tip after the hard-prune.