What is meant by a frost free shelter/garage/greenhouse etc

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

What is meant by a frost free shelter/garage/greenhouse etc

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The term "frost free" is used quite a lot at the moment (and I don't just mean the recent mild weather!)

A frost free greenhouse should mean one that does not dip below 0 degrees centigrade at all throughout the year.

This is different from an unheated greenhouse/garage that does not show any frost on plants but the temperature does dip below 0.

I think it's important to mention this difference as could be the difference between a plant dying or surviving when it come to the term "storing frost free for winter"

Further to this, a cool green house is one where the temp stays above 5 degrees

A warm greenhouse is one where the temp stays above 10/12 degrees

A hot house is one where the temp does not drop below 18 degrees!
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Re: What is meant be a frost free shelter/garage/greenhouse

Post by sanatic1234 »

my shed always seems to be warm kris even at 7.00am! It could be because its not all that old and its tongue and groove also and not overlap this not leaving any gaps for cool air to get in may be?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:my shed always seems to be warm kris even at 7.00am! It could be because its not all that old and its tongue and groove also and not overlap this not leaving any gaps for cool air to get in may be?

The average shed will not be frost free. Temps will go below 0 in a cold spell and 100% will go well below 0 if the winter is like the last 3.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I had some plants survive in my shed last year kris and they were seedlings. This could be because they never got the winter wet and was not exposed to the elements with them having over head cover. I don't know? but they survived i know that much, yet my chamerops that was left outside died. A long with my baby Trachycarpus's. Location of my shed could of also helped? i have it under some huge conifers.
Yorkshire Kris

Re: What is meant by a frost free shelter/garage/greenhouse

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I make the point as things like hardy palms and a lot of half hardy stuff will be ok to but not everything. Cannas need to be frost free for example.
sanatic1234

Re: What is meant by a frost free shelter/garage/greenhouse

Post by sanatic1234 »

I had my dioon edlue's in there and some sabal minors. My frangipani wasn't on the floor but on a cabinet in there so may be this is why it survived i don't know. All i can say is that it always seems to nice and snug in there. if my partner ever kicks me out i know i have a nice warm shed to go to. :lol: :lol: