How hardy are Tahiti limes, Eureka lemons and Mandarins?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

How hardy are Tahiti limes, Eureka lemons and Mandarins?

Post by ourarka »

I have one of each of these, well established in pots, bought 1 year ago and billed as hardy down to -5C. Their official names as sold were Citrus aurantifolia, Citus limon 'Eureka' and Citrus reticulata.

I am hoping to keep them outside this winter, as they appear much happier and is far easier to keep humidity right. Does anyone know if they will go down to the temperatures advertised? I was thinking of basic frost protection if a cold snap was forecast?
Rod

Re: How hardy are Tahiti limes, Eureka lemons and Mandarins?

Post by Rod »

ourarka wrote:I have one of each of these, well established in pots, bought 1 year ago and billed as hardy down to -5C. Their official names as sold were Citrus aurantifolia, Citus limon 'Eureka' and Citrus reticulata.

I am hoping to keep them outside this winter, as they appear much happier and is far easier to keep humidity right. Does anyone know if they will go down to the temperatures advertised? I was thinking of basic frost protection if a cold snap was forecast?
Hi there ourarka - I have a Citrus aurantifolia, and it has seen -5.2°c, and survived.
It is now in flower as we are coming into summer.
It did have a few frost damaged leaves at that temp, so i would not try to push it any lower. And keep it up against your house wall in the sun.
ourarka

Re: How hardy are Tahiti limes, Eureka lemons and Mandarins?

Post by ourarka »

Thanks Rod - temps below about -3/-4 here are rare so in that case will pop it inside for a night or two if a really cold snap is forecast.