Fig tree - will this work?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

Fig tree - will this work?

Post by ourarka » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I have a brown turkey fig tree that had a great summer. Last year I managed to wrap it but this year it is a little too big, and the spiky branches just pierce any wrapping. Seeing as only the new growth really needs protecting, do people think this will work? I have simply wrapped frost fleece around the growing ends of each branch?
Attachments
DSCN1936A.JPG

Darlo Mark

Re: Fig tree - will this work?

Post by Darlo Mark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:50 pm

I think in cold spells yes, but I would possibly check for rot every couple of weeks.

I thought these were pretty hardy? Or is it just this year's growth that is susceptible to frost damage?
Winter lows:
Winter 2009-10 -9.5
Winter 2010-11 -15.0
winter 2011-12 (so far) -7.2

ourarka

Post by ourarka » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm

As a tree they are hardy, but the past year's growth is where the embryonic figs are kepth that will ripen in the spring/summer. I believe these need some frost protection.

They took ages to wrap each one so if people think there is a chance of rot I may have to take them off ..... as unwrapping/rewrapping every 2-3 weeks will drive me crazy!!

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Personally wouldn't bother protecting in the slightest. The branches are hardy and the fruit formed in spring will produce a good crop in summer. I get loads for a similar sized plant as yours.

ourarka

Post by ourarka » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:28 pm

So you don't protect yours up in Yorkshire, Kris? And still get a good crop at the end of each summer? That's good enough for me!!

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 pm

ourarka wrote:So you don't protect yours up in Yorkshire, Kris? And still get a good crop at the end of each summer? That's good enough for me!!

No protections at all! Not the best crop this year but still got quite a few. Last yeat there must have been at least 50 on the plant.

Kyle

Post by Kyle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I will second Kris of this one. I live about 15 miles from him and the two here have seen out the last 2 winters in pots with no protection. Also like Kris, the 2011 crop wasn't great. Maybe it was the abnormal weather - a hot dry April followed by a miserable wet summer.
'LIFE is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'
"DEATH is nature's way of telling you you should have slowed down"

Facebook Garden Blog.

flounder

Post by flounder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 pm

When we need to protect a fig down here, its time to give up exotics, build an igloo and protect yourself from polar bears :wink:
They can take -10c with minimal damage. Also we're lucky we don't get the prolonged day/night freezes. If you're still worried, just chuck one of those cheap, low tog duvets over it on the worst nights
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)