Fig tree - will this work?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

Fig tree - will this work?

Post by ourarka »

I have a brown turkey fig tree that had a great summer. Last year I managed to wrap it but this year it is a little too big, and the spiky branches just pierce any wrapping. Seeing as only the new growth really needs protecting, do people think this will work? I have simply wrapped frost fleece around the growing ends of each branch?
Attachments
DSCN1936A.JPG
Darlo Mark

Re: Fig tree - will this work?

Post by Darlo Mark »

I think in cold spells yes, but I would possibly check for rot every couple of weeks.

I thought these were pretty hardy? Or is it just this year's growth that is susceptible to frost damage?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

As a tree they are hardy, but the past year's growth is where the embryonic figs are kepth that will ripen in the spring/summer. I believe these need some frost protection.

They took ages to wrap each one so if people think there is a chance of rot I may have to take them off ..... as unwrapping/rewrapping every 2-3 weeks will drive me crazy!!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Personally wouldn't bother protecting in the slightest. The branches are hardy and the fruit formed in spring will produce a good crop in summer. I get loads for a similar sized plant as yours.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

So you don't protect yours up in Yorkshire, Kris? And still get a good crop at the end of each summer? That's good enough for me!!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

ourarka wrote:So you don't protect yours up in Yorkshire, Kris? And still get a good crop at the end of each summer? That's good enough for me!!

No protections at all! Not the best crop this year but still got quite a few. Last yeat there must have been at least 50 on the plant.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I will second Kris of this one. I live about 15 miles from him and the two here have seen out the last 2 winters in pots with no protection. Also like Kris, the 2011 crop wasn't great. Maybe it was the abnormal weather - a hot dry April followed by a miserable wet summer.
flounder

Post by flounder »

When we need to protect a fig down here, its time to give up exotics, build an igloo and protect yourself from polar bears :wink:
They can take -10c with minimal damage. Also we're lucky we don't get the prolonged day/night freezes. If you're still worried, just chuck one of those cheap, low tog duvets over it on the worst nights