Phormium and Yucca Gloriosa this morning!

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
chrisgronow

Phormium and Yucca Gloriosa this morning!

Post by chrisgronow »

Hi, Noticed this morning after last nights frost which got down to -4.5 here that my Variegated Phormium and Variegated Yucca Gloriosa have a slightly floppy appearance to them and a hint of blackness! I've not bothered with any protection on them as I didnt think they needed it.
Should I be worried? Should hopefully only be 1 more night of frost for the time being so prob wont bother protecting tonight either.

Thanks.
Adam D

Re: Phormium and Yucca Gloriosa this morning!

Post by Adam D »

No need to worry at -4.5C, they will look much better as the temperature starts to rise :)

I remember the first time I saw one of my Phormiums get frosted and it looked dreadful :(
chrisgronow

Post by chrisgronow »

Ok thanks Adam, I did protect them last night with a bit of fleece but took it all off this morning before the snow which has now washed away with all the rain!
Ste

Post by Ste »

Dont know about phormium as ive never had one but my yucca gloriosa variegata is probably the toughest thing ive ever seen. Its sat out the last 4 winters in a pot, covered in snow/ice/rain, the pot was frozen solid for weeks on end the last 2 winters and it has just laughed it off and grew bigger. The only thing wrong with it is about 3 leaves have floped where as all the rest are nice and upright. I reckon these are as hardy if not hardier than trachys
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

oh yeah my Yucca Gloriosa is as tough as anything! It hasn't flinched at -15!