Hoar frost and palms

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Adrian Brattle

Hoar frost and palms

Post by Adrian Brattle »

Cold hardness of palms varies from climate to climate.

For example hardiness of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in a dry arid climate is -10C. In most parts of the UK is -6C due to saturated air and high dew points, developing strong hoar frost. so if you protect it from hoar frost you may get away with -8C or -9c. so most places in UK is not the low temperatures but the strong hoar frost.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Hoar frost and palms

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well speak of the devil!

We thought you'd been abducted by aliens but it looks like you were just in hibernation.

:lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It's also to do with daytime rebound in temp.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

And the size of the plant of course... icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

Adrian Brattle wrote:Cold hardness of palms varies from climate to climate.

For example hardiness of Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) in a dry arid climate is -10C.
So I try to make my own dry climate. I've made my coldframes closed, with bubble wrap as isolation, along with plastic buildingfoil. Inside a lightstring around the palm. At the strong frostnights temps inside are around 10C or more higher, but also the relative humidity is lowered to around 30%. The coldframe went down to -2.3C at ground level, so no worries with a Rh of 30%. Ouside was -12C and 65%

At the moment I've switched the lights on, just to give the palms some warm days. Temp + 16.3 C at 30% Rh. Desert conditions icon_thumleft
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Adrian Brattle

Post by Adrian Brattle »

eddie wrote:
Adrian Brattle wrote:Cold hardness of palms varies from climate to climate.

For example hardiness of Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP)) in a dry arid climate is -10C.
So I try to make my own dry climate. I've made my coldframes closed, with bubble wrap as isolation, along with plastic buildingfoil. Inside a lightstring around the palm. At the strong frostnights temps inside are around 10C or more higher, but also the relative humidity is lowered to around 30%. The coldframe went down to -2.3C at ground level, so no worries with a Rh of 30%. Ouside was -12C and 65%

At the moment I've switched the lights on, just to give the palms some warm days. Temp + 16.3 C at 30% Rh. Desert conditions icon_thumleft
In Newcastle during the last cold snap temps got down to -7C for one night, two nights of -6C,
RH of 100% for all nights, Dew point -6C to -7C. icon_thumbdown