Bubblewrap

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Julia

Bubblewrap

Post by Julia »

Hopefully I've put the link up to this website , ok??

http://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/bubb ... bble-wrap/

Do you think this is suitable for the greenhouse.?
It has large bubbles.
They do a small bubble as well.

Stupid question i know !! Or do I have to buy bubblewrap from a grrenhouse company?
kata

Re: Bubblewrap

Post by kata »

I can't bring to mind if its too sweaty for the greenhouse or if it was just round palms in winter its not suitable (holds moisture)

I know people have used shading when I had an allotment.

http://tinyurl.com/8vrr282
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Julia wrote:Do you think this is suitable for the greenhouse.?
It has large bubbles.
They do a small bubble as well.

Stupid question i know !! Or do I have to buy bubblewrap from a grrenhouse company?
There is no garden-specific bubblewrap that I know of, and as such it will break down, over time, in sunlight - however, sun is weak in winter, so that will extend the life somewhat.

The idea is to have both insulation and to eradicate draughts, so you need to tape the joints (with a waterproof clear tape). But, as Kata says, that means that moulds etc. will be encouraged, so you need to also provide air circulation. Easiest way is to open the greenhouse on any days when the temperature is above your minimum ... or to use an electric fan (if you have leccy in the greenhouse - you need a suitable water proof/resistant model of course :) )
Bob

Post by Bob »

Just re-lined mine again at the weekend. I use the bigger bubble with the bubble side facing the glass. My thinking is the bigger bubble gives a larger gap between glass and the smooth side of the bubblewrap so more efficient. Takes about three years for the sun to break mine down.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Bubble wrap was invented as a wall paper then gardeners quickly found that it was better used in the greenhouse. :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I use big bubblewrap, and leave it up all year. It insulates to a certain extent in summer stopping high heat build up. :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Julia »

I'm going to order some tonight :)
And treat myself to a fan heater as well :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've hijacked my father in laws greenhouse and emptied it out and bought some proper greenhouse bubble wrap and some fasteners. I started to attach it to the metal frame last night but then it got dark icon_thumbdown

Anyway the fasterners are only good for attaching to the struts between the glass and not at the edges of the frame. How do you attached the wrap to the frame? I'm guessing duct tape or similar would be ok?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I stole the wives clothes pegs to attatch the bubble wrap to the frame.Been up over 12 months now...sorted.

Mini bulldog clips would be perfect too
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I used the large bubble wrap on my large Trachycarpus in the cold spell (-10C for a few nights) last winter and there was no damage at all. I put a large plastic pot over the top once the wrap has been done to add further protection to the tips.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

At b & q they sell both types of fasteners for the glazing bars and corners. They are green plastic and last quite well but work out quite expensive considering that if you buy a roll of bubblewrap from them which is big enough to fit a 8x6 greenhouse ( small bubbles ) they include enough of both types of fasteners to put it up. They are not quite as good as the green ones but after all you get another set every time you buy a roll.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I saw a YouTube video with an ingenious method involving bamboo canes at the apex of the roof and the 2 points where the 'walls' meet the roof.

The guy had permanently fixed keyrings (just the rings, not the dangly bits) to the frame using clips and then just inserted the canes through at either end so they hung horizontally.

He then cut lengths of bubblewrap that he passed over the cane at the apex and fed behind the canes at the base of the roof so that each lenth ran from the floor, up one wall, across the roof then down the other side to the floor again.

He said that the air gap between the bubblewrap and the windows created extra insulation and the whole thing could be set up in 5 minutes once the correct lengths had been cut to size.

I've tried to find the video again but can't seem to locate it, sorry.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

The clips I think Yorkshire Kris and I am talking about leave about an inch air gap at least the ones I use do so it acts like double glazing or a very cheap alternative, I never tried just putting it up against the glass and have always use the clips.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:The guy had permanently fixed keyrings (just the rings, not the dangly bits) to the frame using clips and then just inserted the canes through at either end so they hung horizontally.
You can buy those with copped heads (so you can slide them into aluminium glazing bars, and then lock tight with the but). Useful also for croppign wires.

www.greenhousewarehouse.com/sp-nutboltr ... -(10).html

Important that there are no gaps where air can get through the joints though - so joints between sheets of bubblewrap need to be sealed, which might be a faff with the bamboo pole methods and lots of places where the "key rings" are poking through?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I use bubblewrap horizontally in my polytunnel. with the higher one overlapping outside the lower. Any heat rising stays inside the overlap, and any condensation goes on the outside of the lower sheet. No sealing required. Another method for attaching is velcrose. easy to put up, and easy to take down, but unfortunately velcrose seem to be linked to the Gold Price, particularly from B&Q. I bought 2m from ebay for £4.50 inc postage, but the same from B&Q was £24.99 carry out :ahhh!:

See HERE for how to do the bubble wrap in a poly. Point is, horizontal keeps more heat in without having to seal :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright