Heating for Greenhouse

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
hedychium

Heating for Greenhouse

Post by hedychium »

Hi Room

As the colder weather approaches :( starting to think about how to overwinter my more tender plants , such As plumeria , Passiflora mollissima , and lots of Gingers .

Overwintered these in a 2mx2m greenhouse last year , with a parafin heater but found it a compleate nightmare , if it did not smoke , it went out , and really was very unreliable.

So was looking to invest in a gas heater , but not sure which would be a good one to buy , and how easy are they to look after.

Would be grateful for any advice you could give me regarding this , and where I can buy a decent one at a decent price

Regards

John
Tom2006

Re: Heating for Greenhouse

Post by Tom2006 »

No experience in this myself. I take it you have ruled out a thermostatic electric heater?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:I take it you have ruled out a thermostatic electric heater?
provided there is an (additional) good quality thermostat electric should be cheaper on fuel, and the Fan will mean that the heat around the greenhouse is more even

Insulation is the "cheapest fuel", e.g. lining the greenhouse with bubblewrap - make sure the joints are "tight" (e.g. sticky using tape) as that will reduce fuel usage too.

Or consider overwintering somewhere properly insulated - garage perhaps - with lights. Lights may be cheaper than heating a greenhouse, given the poor thermal properties of glass
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

Hi Room

Thank you for your replies , regarding heating a greenhouse over the colder months , I would use an electrc heater , but where I grow a lot of my plants is on an allotment, I do bubble wrap it , which helps in some ways , but as i said before I find the parafin heater very unreliable .

So hence my only alternative is gas to heat the greenhouse , it is a carbon polycarbonate greenhouse , so is much better at isulating and retaining the heat then glass ,

Just looking to keep it around 5 -10 c over the coldest months

Regards

John
MusaBajoo47B

Heating for Greenhouse

Post by MusaBajoo47B »

See my post on Wrapping versus Drapeing and Geoff Hamiltons trick for keeping the chill out of the greenhouse.