What to overwinter in the house?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

What to overwinter in the house?

Post by ourarka »

Ok, so I have got a bright study with a decent bit of room for overwintering some stuff inside at room temperatures. I just wondered what are the things that really benefit from this type of treatment, as opposed to dry/dormancy etc? I.e. what should I be prioritising, and reserving a little spot in the study for?
Kristen

Re: What to overwinter in the house?

Post by Kristen »

Be interested to hear what others suggest.

I have a (metal halide) growing lamp in my Study overwinter, and I favour plants that are small - things bought cheap, but small, in the Autumn sales, and cuttings etc. that are on the weedy side. (I can keep a pot stuffed with cuttings going overwinter, even if they get overcrowded, in the same space as a single plant would take up, obviously, and then pot them on in the Spring when there is light and warmth enough in the conservatory / greenhouse).

I get far worse problems from bugs indoors, overwinter, than ever I do in the greenhouse during the Summer ... :(
dino

Post by dino »

Last 2 years I've had my Ensete Maurelis in my study which I water sparingly. Also a couple of small washys and a Brahea Armata.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I only keep the smallest things inside. most of the tiny runners from the collies and things like that. I did get a few nanas last week that arnt big enough to store yet and just small enough to go in the grow room. next year they will be stored outside as well.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Me first, plants second.

The most ornamental palms adorn all the rooms but I'm allowed one small aroid in the bathroom. The drips don't harm the ceramic tiles.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I normally have in the house, what i don't have room for in the greenhouse. This is probably too much and causes friction with SWMBO who doesn't like house plants :roll: