Red Hot Poker (knopfia) Seedling Hardiness

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
fieldfest

Red Hot Poker (knopfia) Seedling Hardiness

Post by fieldfest »

Hello,

I'm aware red hot pokers are rather hardy, but ive just taken delivery of 24 very overpriced plug plants (was trying to use up a credit voucher)

they say they are ok to be planted out upon receipt as they are XL plugs, but still they are rather small. are seedling knopfia's as hardy as the bigger ones?

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/red-ho ... rge-plants
jungle jas

Re: Red Hot Poker (knopfia) Seedling Hardiness

Post by jungle jas »

I don't know! I have a load I grew this year from seed that I shall be leaving out doors this winter. Ill let you know in the spring. :lol: :roll: icon_thumright
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Are they slug proof? at that size i would be concerned about them being eaten aswell :cry:
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've had a few seedlings pop up. They go a bit red in the winter, but never had them die.....always had to pull 'em up by hand!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

joolz68 wrote:Are they slug proof? at that size i would be concerned about them being eaten aswell :cry:
Very good point. icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've found seedlings of kniphofia to be quite immune from slug damage. I get snails hiding in amongst the adult leaves, but no discernable munching. The only South African plants I've got that get attacked, are my agapanthus but I do keep the soil damper around them.