Musa basjoo light or dark?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Steady

Musa basjoo light or dark?

Post by Steady »

Hi to everyone, wondering about my musa basjoo protection this year .
Not really had much success being a bit of a novice! My previous basjoo grew quite in the ground but tried to save the height overwinter and it rotted back to the rootball. This year have potted basjoo and not sure whether to put them in my insulated lean to or the garage? The garage is warmer but dark and the lean to light but cold, not sure if frost free as just built this year. Any suggestions would be great as really like my plants!!
grub

Re: Musa basjoo light or dark?

Post by grub »

I've never dug out Basjoo so can't really help, over wintering in the ground is easy though. The secret is to keep the plant breathing so no plastic wrapping please! icon_thumleft
Steady

Post by Steady »

grub wrote:I've never dug out Basjoo so can't really help, over wintering in the ground is easy though. The secret is to keep the plant breathing so no plastic wrapping please! icon_thumleft
Cheers grub, they'll be going in the ground next spring but not sure what to do with them till then!
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'd go with the lean to. if you're concerned about frosting, give it a loose wrap of fleece. The warmth in the garage will probably make it grow, not a good thing in the dark
Steady

Post by Steady »

flounder wrote:I'd go with the lean to. if you're concerned about frosting, give it a loose wrap of fleece. The warmth in the garage will probably make it grow, not a good thing in the dark
Thanks for the info flounder, will drag them in this weekend and then fleece them when the frost comes.