tetrapanax rex

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Conifers

Re: tetrapanax rex

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote:my root cuttings took on to rotting icon_thumbdown I am acually pretty upset about it.
Too much water? Maybe next time, dry them off for an hour or two so they form a bit of a callus on cut surfaces, like with cacti cuttings? And don't overwater! Until they start rooting, their water uptake from the soil will be low so overwatering is too easy.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I beleive you are right to much water. I also left them in compost and I should have put them in a lighter seed starting mix. they were in the prop and I had a top on there container which created alot of humidity so that didn't help either. live and learn I vow to try them again :lol:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i grew mine from root cuttings, i bunged the roots in a prop tray, chucked some MP compost on and left it all outside in a shady spot to get rained on

worked a treat

I would send you a plant but i'm not sure it would survive the journey
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I think if I try root cuttings again I'll leave the lid of them so they just have the humidity in the prop might keep them a tiny bit dryer and they wont rot so easy.