Washingtonia robusta brown leaves

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Adam r

Washingtonia robusta brown leaves

Post by Adam r »

I have a small washie which I have brought into the house for the winter. It has 3 mature leaves which are fully opened and 1 partially open leaf. The oldest of the leaves has started to turn brown and the second oldest leaf has started to brown a little on one of its leaflets. Is this normal when overwintering palms indoors?
When I got the palm in April, it's leaves browned off then it grew new leaves which were acclimatised to my location and it was looking healthy then when I've had to change its environment again to protect it, it doesn't seem to like it. Will this happen every spring and autumn when it's environment changes?

Adam
GREVILLE

Re: Washingtonia robusta brown leaves

Post by GREVILLE »

If you have kept it in a centrally heated room, Adam, it wont be happy. An unheated room in a sunny window is best if it has to go in the house. A frost-free greenhouse works better for it.

In these arrangements they will still need plenty of water but don't keep the compost saturated.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lack of light. It happened to me last year but was ok when I gave it more sunlight, and greville is right also about central heating. Killer for most plants.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Have you got a garage ? if so put it in there....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

No havnt got a garage, but wouldn't it die spending 5 or 6 month in a garage with no light?
I wasn't sure whether to keep watering or not. Will it carry on growing throughout the winter being kept indoors?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine overwinter indoors but in my storage room that has no central heating. I rely on a heater/fan for when the room drops below 10c. It does get enough light for them though. As for growing mine stop totally till mid to late spring.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

The leaves on my washie stopped browning off and was looking healthy then a couple of weeks ago I gave it a bit water and another leaf has browned since. I keep it in the kitchen beside a full length glass door(south east facing)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adam r wrote:No havnt got a garage, but wouldn't it die spending 5 or 6 month in a garage with no light?
I wasn't sure whether to keep watering or not. Will it carry on growing throughout the winter being kept indoors?
Mine would have been dead years ago if that was the case.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adam r wrote:No havnt got a garage, but wouldn't it die spending 5 or 6 month in a garage with no light?
It depends on how warm it is. If very cool but frost free, plants will sit there not growing, so there is little need for photosynthesis, but if warm enough for any growth, then they must have adequate light.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright