Another winter like 2010/11

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Another winter like 2010/11

Post by Dave Brown »

December 2010 was different in that the whole of the Britain was covered in snow, north to south, and east to west. What we are seeing this winter is the cold in December was mostly in the Southeast with -7.1C here, and the cold over the last week in the East and Southeast. with -12C in Norfolk.

It is snowing again here now since 8am and temp is -1.1C
Attachments
December 2010 Arctic Britain
December 2010 Arctic Britain
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Having a light dusting now, settling toward the coast-so my wife said, she got called in to work cos others couldn't make it :roll: Win, win situation. She gets paid loads of money and I get a peaceful day icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

We've had a couple of -5 & -6's but everyday has been above 0. Most nights are between -1 to -3.
We've had a fair bit of snow, it's just started again but very light.

As long as things don't get worse from now on then this winter is nowhere near as bad as 2010 for me, not even close.
2010 we had Weeks of freezing temps, lowest temps I've ever seen (-21 locally).
Most mornings my car thermometer read around -17 :ahhh!: not fun scrapping ice of a car in those temps.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Amulree have had nights of -8 -10 and -14 over the last few days! (Norfolk) :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'd glad my plants got sent out quickly!! :shock:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Amulree have had nights of -8 -10 and -14 over the last few days! (Norfolk) :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
Do they protect their stock? Or will it be an expensive disaster for them?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Amulree have had nights of -8 -10 and -14 over the last few days! (Norfolk) :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

And I am moaning about -2c down here in Southampton? :shock:

And that was on 2 nights only.

In 2010 it got down to -6.9c also on 2 nights only. :shock: :shock:

billdango :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Dave Brown wrote:Here, below average, to cold.

In these set ups the cold is very difficult to dislodge and the mild Atlantic weather floods in from the west, so those in the west just see a normal winter with some short cold spells..........
I'd go along with that. Been a good winter so far, just a couple of hours of snow and a low of just -1.9 deg with some reasonable day temps thrown in. Certainly not plant damaging.
kata

Post by kata »

Ours is melting, slow but its going, problem is the freezing at night, its keeping it here. Roads and pavements are just Ice in some areas. Today is my first day out since friday and thats by taxi... :lol: :lol:
examples of extreme winters:

In 1310, a 20-year trend of cold weather was actually to blame for the Great Famine that began in 1315. And it probably had a lot to do with poor nutrition that made people more susceptible to the Black Death that struck in 1348.
1816 was the "Year Without a Summer" in the Northern Hemisphere. On July 4th that year in Savannah, Georgia, the high temperature was 46°F! There were food shortages due to crop failures and livestock deaths in the US, Canada, and Western Europe.
icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:
Do they protect their stock? Or will it be an expensive disaster for them?
I know the things I've ordered are kept indoors apart from the bamboos which should be fine.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My Trachycarpus is still there as Simon could not get the forklift out to lift it onto the wagon.

Hoping its not been outside in -12 unprotected :shock: