Another winter like 2010/11

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Adam r

Another winter like 2010/11

Post by Adam r »

Looks like we are having another winter like 2010/11. Temps are supposed to stay around freezing for the next few weeks. Maybe not as low temps as 10/11 but still prolonged freezing which is the biggest killer. Hope everyone's plants are ok.
Adam D

Re: Another winter like 2010/11

Post by Adam D »

Sorry Adam, but no, this winter has not been anything like winter 10/11 (so far).

Dec 2010 was the second coldest ever month since January 1947 up in Scotland, and you are not so far away geographically, it was a really horrible (but also quite bizarre in an "extreme" way).

Fingers crossed that the Atlantic starts dictating the weather again soon :)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

It does seem to be looking bad for some at the mo but certainly not as bad as 2010. In Rhyl it`s been fairly average. Lowest temp my weather station has recorded so far is minus 4.2 and that was one night in December. This January cold spell has been pretty mild here compared to other parts of the country. Lowest in Jan so far has been minus 2.8 in my garden and had no snow to speak of so far. It was trying hard this morning to snow but ended up with light rain. I`ve been following the GFS weather models closely for the last few weeks . ( thanks mainly to Stephen for educating me) - mainly for the Min temps. They`ve been predicting some very worrying low temps for my area for 3 or 4 days ahead- minus 8`s and 10`s etc , but as the days have come nearer they have always ( so far) altered their forecasts and as i stated earlier the lowest has been minus 2.8. Only the last few days has it not being bouncing back into plus figures during the day. I feel for people who are getting things a lot worse than i am but all the signs seem to point to this cold to last into early feb from what i can see.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nah, nothing to worry about yet.

If we start getting days with highs of -8 then yes.
flounder

Post by flounder »

If anything I'd say this was a mild winter...wet, but mild. Ok we've had a little bit of white stuff and you are a couple of miles further north than me but generally not too bad.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would say its been an average to cold winter so far here, considering winter officially covers December through to the end of Feb. I don't record averages etc so maybe someone like Stephen could step in. So far this spell has been nothing like 2010, that was almost a once in a lifetime event really, covered either side by a very mild winter. Unfortunately this cold spell looks set to run and run, so maybe it will surpass 2010, but I sincerely hope not.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here, below average, to cold.

In these set ups the cold is very difficult to dislodge and the mild Atlantic weather floods in from the west, so those in the west just see a normal winter with some short cold spells, but the further east you go the more the block, blocks, and East Anglia, Essex and Kent bare the brunt of cold easterlies straight off a cold continent with not much sea to warm it. :roll: . Worst scenario for me is ESE as the air comes across the channel at it's narrowest, Calais to Dover, and the stronger the wind, the lest time for the sea to modify temps. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

This is my second winter in the house I'm in now, the first with my garden pretty much fully planted and with nothing ridiculously tender, its also the first month or so I've been recording temperatures. This January already looks below average at best and that’s with a frost free and exceptionally mild first 10 days or so. I certainly didn't except major damage to plants and lying snow to contend with. I will be using this experience as a bench mark as to what I can get away with for the future. Granted in terms of temperatures its nothing like 2010, but the longevity could be the problem this time around. There is certainly no where near high enough day times to counteract even light frosts at the moment.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's been a very mild winter here in terms of absolute lows( only had a handful of minus threes with the lowest temp -3.9) Not much snow but lots of nights down to zero and basically 5 days at or sub-zero.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's been a very mild winter here in terms of absolute lows( only had a handful of minus threes with the lowest temp -3.9) Not much snow but lots of nights down to zero and basically 5 days at or sub-zero.
Same here, nothing below -4, but not above +1 either (in the last week)
Last edited by Conifers on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's been a very mild winter here in terms of absolute lows( only had a handful of minus threes with the lowest temp -3.9) Not much snow but lots of nights down to zero and basically 5 days at or sub-zero.
Same here, nothing below -4, but no tice days at all and some incredibly mild days, the record being +14c in early January.

Defitely a mild winter so far.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Cold but not that cold. -4 the coldest temperature this month, which is nothing to write home about for January in Swindon.

I'm seeing forecasts for -7 and the like but I'd be surprised but even so, normal winter lows really.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its been a cushy winter up to now in Southampton and so far up to today no damage to any exotics that I can see.

Only the last few days have been a bit nippy but nothing to compare with 2010 yet when we had -6.9c in the city center and -7c in my side entrance.

The coldest I have recorded so far is 2 nights at -2c spread over the last 2 cold spells.

Mind you that could change early next week when -6c is predicted for the outskirts of this city.

My Agaves are almost buried in this snow but i hope they recover when the thaw sets in.

billdango :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

-9c up here the other night. Other areas down to -12c and we have been sub zero for five days. that's not a normal winter spell.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Tom2006 wrote:-9c up here the other night. Other areas down to -12c and we have been sub zero for five days. that's not a normal winter spell.
It's certainly a very regional cold spell this time with -12 in Norfolk and balmy temperatures in Cornwall by comparison.

I'd say I'm seeing average winter lows being in the middle of the two.