Dicksonia antartica protection

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Steady

Dicksonia antartica protection

Post by Steady »

Not sure if its been suggested before but was thinking that army surplus sleeping bags could be used to protect tree ferns as they're waterproof and well insulated. I'm thinking they could be slipped over the trunk fairly easily if temps really drop then removed when temps rise again? I'm thinking they should be fairly breathable too.
Tom2006

Re: Dickinson antartica protection

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, I reckon this would work extremely well, especially if you put in three or four hot water bottles during very cold spells. I am considering planting a few of mine out and will be looking at this for protection.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I have patents pending on this idea lol.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Here's one I prepared earlier:

;)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've just been looking at sleeping bags and for a decent waterproof thermal bag it's not cheap.

On the other hand, I found THESE and have ordered one.

I reckon a cheap Asda £4 single duvet wrapped around my Dicksonia antarctica and then this over the top of it will be excellent protection.

There fact that it is designed to reflect heat and so prevent cooling means a couple of 2l bottles of hot water slipped between the duvet rolls at the base should keep my 4 footer roasty toasty!

;)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

How about this?

(public domain pic from wikipedia)
Steady

Post by Steady »

[quote="GoggleboxUK"]I've just been looking at sleeping bags and for a decent waterproof thermal bag it's not cheap.

On the other hand, I found THESE and have ordered one.

I reckon a cheap Asda £4 single duvet wrapped around my Dicksonia antarctica and then this over the top of it will be excellent protection.

There fact that it is designed to reflect heat and so prevent cooling means a couple of 2l bottles of hot water slipped between the duvet rolls at the base should keep my 4 footer roasty toasty!

Seen them on eBay for £25+£5 postage which isn't too bad if it keeps them alive, probably not viable if you have multiple ferns! Like your idea as must be as effective and bit cheaper, you can also buy waterproof sleeping bag covers for a tenner odd and use in conjunction with a duvet
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Steady, standard ball of fleece in crown on really cold nights & a layer of fleece around the trunk if temp's get silly & prolonged is all you need!! they are a lot tougher than you think. i suppose if people want to keep the fronds then sleeping bags are better, but on my scale of planting i'd need a wk off work. I'm also trying to plant my fern's into a very well incased part of the garden which in itself will offer some protection. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Karl, The rhizome at the centre of the trunk must not freeze, or you get the dreaded 'orange goo' through the damage when sap starts rising. It's a form of Dicksonia 'Spear Pull' and can be fatal :ahhh!:

Steady, They have been discussed a few times after THAT WINTER icon_rambo

HERE is a list of posts with Dicksonia +Sleeping +Bag
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dave, i'm aware of this but i'm also a big believer of some advise you gave me early on re - on/off protection of all thing's tropical & it has worked well so far. My dicksonia fronds all browned at a few nights of -3/4 but i also have a very windy garden which does not help!, not sure what temp's it would take to have orange goo !,. karl.
Steady

Post by Steady »

Probably overkill then but think I might get a couple next autumn and keep them in the cupboard just as precaution incase extreme temps reoccur, might even spur me on to go camping if they don't get used!! Couldnt find this topic when looked before ,need to polish up my searching skills.....
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

karl66 wrote:Steady, standard ball of fleece in crown on really cold nights & a layer of fleece around the trunk if temp's get silly & prolonged is all you need!! they are a lot tougher than you think. i suppose if people want to keep the fronds then sleeping bags are better, but on my scale of planting i'd need a wk off work. I'm also trying to plant my fern's into a very well incased part of the garden which in itself will offer some protection. karl.
Karl, I assure you this isn't enough as my dead five sadly showed after winter 2010. If its prolonged sub zero you need much more protection than you describe along with an additional heat source to prevent them freezing through.

A thick duvet covered in a waterproof layer would work great as a cheap alternative to a sleeping bag.

It isn't a very low overnight temperature that will kill a Dicksonia antarctica, but a prolonged sub zero where it will just freeze solid, even with the wrapping you describe, and even with a sleeping bag and duvet, IF we had another winter 2010.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

What about a layer of loft insulation wrapped around the trunk and then something to go over the top to keep the water out, very easy to remove and put back on and if you remove it as soon as the temps warm up a bit surely you could just use a bin bag or similar to keep the insulation dry. Very cheap as one roll should do a few trunks and as long as it is not left on for long periods it should not encourage rot or anything, and on really cold nights a couple of bottles of hot water could be added before the wrapping. It also would only take minute's to take on or off and even if it had to be left on for a two, three week deep freeze surely that would not be long enough to cause mould or rot would it,you could even add a rope light if the hot water bottles are insufficient, what do you think?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote:Dave, i'm aware of this but i'm also a big believer of some advise you gave me early on re - on/off protection of all thing's tropical & it has worked well so far. My dicksonia fronds all browned at a few nights of -3/4 but i also have a very windy garden which does not help!, not sure what temp's it would take to have orange goo !,. karl.
It is a very difficult judgement call, but any protection has to be sufficient to stop the rhizome freezing, and as the Dicksonia antarctica produces no warmth, the longer the freeze the greater the risk. Eventually heat will have to be introduced, hence the discussion of hot water bottles.

Temps here dropped to -10C with the Dicksonia antarctica under heavy snow and had 6 Ice days in Dec 2010. However temps in some places did not RISE above -15C and in those situations mass losses occurred :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I agree with much of the above, the main point here i think is how far each individual is prepared to go to protect there exotic plant's. I probably do just enough without going overboard, i want a garden that's enjoyable to own not a milestone round my neck, my way of thinking now is that if certain item's die i'll replace them! just hope i'm not taught a harsh lesson in the near future. karl.