Dicksonia antartica protection

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
karl66

Re: Dickinson antartica protection

Post by karl66 »

Just a few added point's; with the dicksonia not producing much heat, does this make a case for planting them in a more sunny spot so they can still absorb the winter sunshine when they've had some cold night's?, mine are mainly in dappled or full shade :roll: . karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote:my way of thinking now is that if certain item's die i'll replace them! just hope i'm not taught a harsh lesson in the near future. karl.
I couldn't afford new ones, so will do what I have to, but fortunately most of my weather is not a problem for them. It's not just the cost, but you have to start again with maybe 2 years to get back to established growth.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JBALLY »

If we have another 2010/11 winter most people me included want a workable way to stop losses as I lost nearly everything that winter including all my tree ferns. I have replaced them now and would replace them again in the future if the worst happened but I now know fleece in the crown with a chicken wire cage full of straw is not enough if the temps go that low for that long. I did not even have it as bad as a lot, my lowest recorded temp was -12c but I was not ready for it and how long the cold lasted and that is not what I want to happen in the future. I want a plan in place for the protection of all my expensive palms and other plants if we have a repeat or worse god forbid. I am going to make sure I have all the materials and heat sources ready in advance as I would prefer to be ready to use them and not need them than not be ready and I do need them. That is not to say every year I am going to go mad and wrap everything to the extreme and use extra heat but I want to have a quick way and sufficient way to protect if the need arises.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dave, your weather is a big headstart for you!, you may not have a coastal cornish climate i crave but a generally drier/warmer yearly average makes a big difference. karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

karl66 wrote:Just a few added point's; with the dicksonia not producing much heat, does this make a case for planting them in a more sunny spot so they can still absorb the winter sunshine when they've had some cold night's?, mine are mainly in dappled or full shade :roll: . karl.
Yes definitely a good thing to do. The five I lost were all in an area of dappled shade, perfect in summer but not in winter when they never got any sun at all.

I have replaced my lost tree ferns and palms since winter 2010 but I can't afford to do it again.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I agree Karl, the less effort the better as far as I am concerned, especially when 10 minutes outside means you can't feel your fingers.

This is precisely why I thought the duvet and bivi bag were ideal. Within 30 seconds I can wrap and cover and be back indoors.

What I really liked about those bivi bags is that they mean I don't have to add the thermal blanket on the outside of the duvet layer as they are designed specifically to retain heat so, rather than having to change hot water bottles every 6 hours I can add a couple of bottles and the lessened heat loss effect should see it through the night without risk.

Protection's a consideration I didn't take intoaccount when I first stated planting exotics but after spending loads of money in late summer 2010 only to have it all dead by the following spring I now make sure everything I plant is either nailed on hardy or I have adequate protection should the worst reoccur.

Almost all the protection I bought for winter 2011 and2012 has gone unused but just having it makes me feel much better.
dino

Post by dino »

I lost a 6 footer in the ground in2010 although it was badly unprotected. I have replaced that and now protect more. I also have a 5 footer in a pot which I bring closer to the house. I think it's a case of exploring your options and seeing what works best for you.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

When i was out this morning i came accross some really thick camouflage sleeping bag's!!, they are 170cm tall & 70cm wide & waterproof, i'm going to stick them up the loft out the way & bring them out if weather get's silly like 2010. I will continue the fleece in crown method for what i class as mildish winter weather. I've tested one out not long ago ang there great!, £12.99p each fom argos & being army colours they blend in great. karl.
Steady

Post by Steady »

Decided to go ahead and plant my two new Dicksonia antarctica today after deciding that storing them in garage might dry them out even more than the are already. Fingers crossed there's not too many long lows now!! I've kept the crowns dry with bags whilst planting and now just covered the crowns with ball of fleece and tied on, not sure if i should water the trunks or just leave them as if temp drops low in the next few days it might freeze. Any ideas or opinions very welcome , sure the rain and humidity will help to a degree but will they need a soak ?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

karl66 wrote:When i was out this morning i came accross some really thick camouflage sleeping bag's!!, they are 170cm tall & 70cm wide & waterproof, i'm going to stick them up the loft out the way & bring them out if weather get's silly like 2010. I will continue the fleece in crown method for what i class as mildish winter weather. I've tested one out not long ago ang there great!, £12.99p each fom argos & being army colours they blend in great. karl.
Is it this one Karl?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 100705.htm

If it is then be wary that water resistant isn't the same as waterproof and leaving them out in the rain could be damaging over longer periods of time.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

That's the one m8, £11.99 not £12.99 !!. I will have to put a plastic bag or even a fleece over the top when there used, hopfully not to often. Like you said previously these can go to silly money so you have to be sensible as i needed five of them :lol: . karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They should do the job if it getd stupidly cold just a plastic bag over the top and a few hot water bottles inside.

Steady, I would certainly soak them. they will only push through when it warms up.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't know where all this "must be kept dry" has come from. Palms need their crowns dry, and ferns need their crowns wet. A dry fern will freeze through quicker than a wet fern, as water has a much higher thermal mas than air. My duvets are not water resistant, they just get soaked in the rain.

Some desert/arid plants are attacked by fungi if they remain wet, rain forest plants don't generally. I was watering my ferns in feb 2011, not in 2012 as they were under snow.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Generally speaking your right Dave. But in extremely cold spells like 09 and 10 you didn't want a wet tree fern crown. Just uncover after the cold has past.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

In winter 2010 I used 20m of fleece on just one of my Dicksonia antarctica, as well as using the fronds to cover the trunk and a plastic pot over the top in the worst of the weather.