When to unwrap

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
chrismc

When to unwrap

Post by chrismc »

Hi All,
when do we think is a good time to unwrap Tree ferns and unstuff the crowns? is it too soon?
Tom2006

Re: When to unwrap

Post by Tom2006 »

chrismc wrote:Hi All,
when do we think is a good time to unwrap Tree ferns and unstuff the crowns? is it too soon?
No, Mine are all unwrapped and unstuffed during the day, I just stuff the crowns on a night as we are still getting frosts. The current overnight temps wont kill the ferns but could damage the croziers which should be just at the surface waiting to explode upwards.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Tom, are yours all potted and in the poly tunnel, or are they outside now?
call

Post by call »

I unwrapped mine in February they really don't need protection much down here but I have some to make sure as mine was only planted this year and to keep my trunk looking good as most trunks around here go a bit dryish and oldy looking :?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

dorothy wrote:Tom, are yours all potted and in the poly tunnel, or are they outside now?
Yes, all but one are potted up. I had to lift (I planted it out last year) my newest two footer in the really bad weather (-10C etc) and put it in a bucket in my polyhouse. This one and my two other smaller Dicksonia antarctica's are still in my polyhouse, BUT my two four footers have been out all March but I have protected the crowns for most of that time and kept them watered. This was simply because they are very large and I couldn't be bothered with dragging them back into my already overcrowded polyhouse. Also they will push up earlier in the polyhouse due to the high greenhouse like temps during the day. I definitely don't want this because the new fronds will just damage themselves in there.

Would I be right in thinking your Dicksonia antarctica's have got fronds on now? If they have they will need to be hardened off so don't put them out if a frost is forecast or if the wind a very strong, but if you have a frost free sheltered spot or can cover the fronds with a few layers of fleece if the temps drop to 0C to -2C ish then they should be fine outside. Its if the temperatures drop below this that the new fronds will probably burn even with some fleece cover. If they are fronded I would probably leave them until at least next week. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

With the wind as well you don't want that to damage them has it will be tender growth.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi thanks for your replies.Yes mine do have fronds....very long ones in fact...I was going to pop them in the shed and leave the door open during the day but I don't think I'll get them through the door :shock: If the weather is nice this weekend, I'll plant all my Trachycarpus's which are in pots next to the house and then wait till next weekend, see how the weather is doing and if fine, will put them outside against the house wall but watch out for the frost, and if necessary cover up. :)