Colocasia and Curcuma

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Scotkat

Colocasia and Curcuma

Post by Scotkat »

As you know I am a volunteer in the walled garden restoration project of Glamis Castle and we have had alarge donation of tropical bulbs to grow .

Well they have grown ever so well and are now at stage in short spell of needing repotted.

As a trial we have put all the pots of Colocasia outside in the microclimate walled garden .

And I and a friend have taken some plants home as atrial in out garden .

I have taken home and left these outdoors ColocasiaEsculenta,Black Magic and Emerald.Been told we can keep the colocasias outdoors till winter then protect them.

But the Curcuma Indian Surprise I have kept in my conservatory.Can the Curcuma go outdoors till winter also.

I have never grown any of these before so need helpful advice.

Many thanks in advance.
grub

Re: Colocasia and Curcuma

Post by grub »

You can forget 'Black Magic' outdoors over winter, you'll be doing well if you can keep it alive indoors. It's one of the fussiest :(
Scotkat

Post by Scotkat »

We were told we could leave the Colocastias outdoors till winter .

So best if I take the Black Magic into conservatory.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Are you able post a picture of your plants? it will give us a better idea of what to do and when.
Scotkat

Post by Scotkat »

I would post photos to share with you if the site allows me to post.

I tried to upload and would not allow me to post photos.
call

Post by call »

mmmm... did the bulb supplier go by the name of living colour bulbs by Jacques amand :>beard<:
Scotkat

Post by Scotkat »

No Callum
call

Post by call »

ok just wondering :roll:

I have not had much luck with curcuma, it flowered the year I brought it but this year it has done absolutely nothing. I tipped it out and it all seemed healthy, gave it a load of water, repotted it, moved it into a warm place and then just left it but still nothing :(

as with colocasia black magic, it is best treated as an annual because it requires high temperatures to get going and likes being warm and wet BUT NOT cold and wet. Of all colocasias it is a bit of a fussy plant.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

ScotKat, I can't comment on Curcuma as I have not grown it, but Colocasia are a fairly diverse set of plants like palms.

You could grow Trachycarpus fortunei, but not grow a Coconut.... Colocasia Black Magic is TC'd so is widely available but is the Coconut of the Colocasia world, needing heat and humidity to do well. Far better for UK growing is Black Beauty based on Colocasia illustris.

In your location I think you can forget about leaving Colocasia out over winter, as although they may not be killed, it would be July before regrowth started :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

When I grew curcuma back in 2011, I found it great to plant outdoors up until it rains then the leaves go all brown and soggy. I really did find this a shame as the flowers were gorgeous! :)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

call wrote:ok just wondering :roll:

I have not had much luck with curcuma, it flowered the year I brought it but this year it has done absolutely nothing. I tipped it out and it all seemed healthy, gave it a load of water, re-potted it, moved it into a warm place and then just left it but still nothing :(
Quite interested in this call. Did you use to water the leaves on yours? if so did you have problems with them turning soggy and going brown?
I never use to water the leaves only the soil a round it as i was advised, i thought it seemed right as only after it had rained would my leaves be affected.
call

Post by call »

I watered it and the leaves as I did not know about this and it never really turned brown (only after the flowering had finished and it was going dormant)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is strange call. Mine did the exact opposite, my leaves were turning brown when water him them and they were still ion flower, mine were white flowers.
call

Post by call »

aahh mine where pink what variety/species was yours icon_thumright
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Not sure call, i got mine out of a florist, all it said was curcuma on the label with the growing instructions on the back. It said on the label to keep moist not to let dry out and so on. But that was it, and it had a picture of a boat in a lake on the front of the label.