tiny gunnera OK outdoors over winter?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
fieldfest

tiny gunnera OK outdoors over winter?

Post by fieldfest »

I have a very small gunnera in the greenhouse, it doesnt seem to be doing too well, maybe its too hot. would it be fine left out all winter open to the elements? my question is i suppose, are they proper hardy even when small?
flounder

Re: tiny gunnera OK outdoors over winter?

Post by flounder »

I'd say yes, because of your location
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

I left my small newly planted Gunnera Tinctoria outside last winter - just packed straw around the crown and then protected it by folding the leaves over itself.

All held down with a couple of small logs!

I must admit after the long winter we had last year (and as I live in rural stoke on trent) I thought it would have been a gonna!

Come spring just took off the straw and if it went!
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

fieldfest wrote:I have a very small gunnera in the greenhouse, it doesnt seem to be doing too well, maybe its too hot. would it be fine left out all winter open to the elements? my question is i suppose, are they proper hardy even when small?
They are bog plants from Brazil and Colombia, so the only time it can be too hot is if they have not been sitting on a tray of water and the soil has dried out.

Winter the UK they prefer to be dry when it is freezing (hence you put the large old leaves on top of the crown to keep 'em dry). They will do better outside than in the greenhouse if the crown is protected.

Am not sure how frost free where you are is but in many coastal parts of Ireland and parts of Western Scotland the related Gunnera Tinctoria is an invasive plant (http://www.botanicgardens.ie/gspc/targe ... unnera.htm).
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

Hi.
I have planted two years ago Gunnera manicata. Every winter heating and also get a protection.
Planted next to the pond. This year we had 93 inches of the leaf. :)
A month ago I G. tinctoria well.Only be covered tree leaves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBugfL8e ... e=youtu.be
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

it will be fine outside!!!!thats whats wrong with it.its too dry and too warm inside.WORD OF WARNING:THESE ARE VERY INVASIVE AND WILL SELF SEED LIKE CRAZY WHEN THEY START TO PRODUCE SEED.I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE.BEST OF LUCK!
fieldfest wrote:I have a very small gunnera in the greenhouse, it doesnt seem to be doing too well, maybe its too hot. would it be fine left out all winter open to the elements? my question is i suppose, are they proper hardy even when small?
:D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I don't really protect my gunnera and its fine.
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

fern Rob wrote:I don't really protect my gunnera and its fine.
Hi!
What was the coldest?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

lesli5 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I don't really protect my gunnera and its fine.
Hi!
What was the coldest?
A normal winter -12 is low but I have known one just down the road to survive -21c, with just its leaves folded over it.
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

The Gunnera manicata? -21 :ahhh!:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

lesli5 wrote:The Gunnera manicata? -21 :ahhh!:
It was covered in leaves and slightly sheltered by bamboo but it survived un damaged, they are not as tender as people think they are.
lesli5

Post by lesli5 »

I did this so the plant does not have much. In Hungary, not many people have tried it yet.After that, I'll try and victimize one.I bought a Gunnera tinctoria well.Now, even small.In the spring I will plant it.I will not be covered.