Overwintering aeonium arboreum

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ourarka

Overwintering aeonium arboreum

Post by ourarka »

I have a nice example of one of these in my arid bed - just wondered the best way to overwinter? I assume it won't make it in the ground, even if kept dry?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Overwintering aeonium arboreum

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

ourarka wrote:I have a nice example of one of these in my arid bed - just wondered the best way to overwinter? I assume it won't make it in the ground, even if kept dry?
Fleeced it will take a couple of degrees of minus temps but likely to loose the roots to rot.

Better to dig up and keep frost free, ideally above 10 degrees. It will look rubbish by spring but fantastic by summer.
kata

Post by kata »

I am re-potting mine and bringing it into the cool kitchen windowsill, the only plant to come in.

Funny, I was thinking about that this evening before it went dark. Its on pebbles at the bottom of the garden, would hate to lose it now its made great top growth this summer, its first..

:mrgreen:
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks guys - so keep cool and dry over winter? What about in Spring?
kata

Post by kata »

Wait for warm weather, could be a nice Spring or a freezer,

I got mine mid-summer and so been in the same place till now. I think the sun, watering and pebbles helped.

:mrgreen:
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Would they survive outside if kept dry (i.e. cloched) or would the temps kill them, regardless of how dry they are?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Even in an un-heated greenhoue they're a bit hit or miss, but if you can't bring it indoors that would be your best chance.

Depending on it's size, as an experiment, you could take cuttings,bring some indoors, put some in a greenhouse or shed etc, and leave some of it under a cloche, the cuttings would then have no roots to rot, and would re-grow in spring.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks for that Nig!

icon_cheers
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Nigel Fear wrote:Even in an un-heated greenhoue they're a bit hit or miss, but if you can't bring it indoors that would be your best chance.

Depending on it's size, as an experiment, you could take cuttings,bring some indoors, put some in a greenhouse or shed etc, and leave some of it under a cloche, the cuttings would then have no roots to rot, and would re-grow in spring.
I think I will do that. I am not after enormous specimens, as they'd look a bit out of place, so if the winter takes it then so be it. I'll cloche it and keep fingers crossed that it doesn't get too cold ..... and maybe take a few cuttings before I do.
kata

Post by kata »

I brought mine inside,

Its been on the windowsill in new compost about a week...watered it once via a glass dripper.

Water: Aeoniums do not like really hot or dry weather. They may go dormant in summer and do not require any water, except in very dry conditions. In extreme heat, their leaves will curl, to prevent excessive water loss.

Growing them in moist shade will keep them growing, but their true growth season is winter to spring, when temperatures are cool (65–75 F.) and damp.

In the winter, water whenever the soil has dried out. Test by poking your finger down into the soil an inch or two. Too much moisture or allowing them to sit in wet soil will cause root rot.

Soil: A sandy loam or regular potting mix is better than a mix specifically for succulents and cacti, since Aeonium need some moisture. If you are growing them in containers, repot every 2 –3 years with fresh potting soil.

Fertilizer: Feed during the growing season with a half strength balanced fertilizern , every month or so. Do not feed while dormant.

General Care:

If you have the proper growing conditions, Aeonium will take care of themselves and actually thrive on neglect. Otherwise your major task will be moving them from hot sun to shade and back again, or moving them indoors when the temperature drops too low.

Aeonium have underdeveloped root systems, since they store their water in their leaves and stems. The have the ability to produce roots along their stems, which you may notice if the plant gets pot bound or the stems falls and touches soil.

Leggy branches do tend to fall over and snap off, from the weight of the rosettes. If this happens, you can repot the broken stem.

Most Aeoniums die after flowering. If the plant has produced side shoots, they will live on. If not, the entire plant will die off. You can start new plants from the seed.

Pests and Problems:

Few pests bother Aeoniums. Slugs can do some damage and the occasional bird may take a bite.

icon_sunny