washingtonia robusta how hardy

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
jezza

Re: washingtonia robusta how hardy

Post by jezza »

Mine been indoors, then in greenhouse and now outside in all that lovely sun, it's flying up :D
themes

Post by themes »

Gaz wrote:-8 appears to have seen our larger one off this winter. Crown full of rot and fungus!
If youve got nothing to lose try Sawing off the top of the palm..I think JohnP referred the link to EPS and bring a washingtonia back in another thread referring to robusta, I hate being disorganised and forgot where the link to that was
Si

Post by Si »

These washy's were mentioned on this thread somewhere, the exotic gardens on the Isle of White, most impressive, but have they just been planted there at this height or grown from from a smaller size in the ground to something bigger like in Dave's case?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If thats Ventnor Botanic Gardens then probably they have just been planted, I cant remember seeing an avenue of them and the area looks like its just been done.
They do have big Washingtonias there that have most likely been in the ground for years.
The gardens are on the south of the Island and quite sheltered so they can grow a lot of borderline stuff and get away with it.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

2011 how are your washies would love to know how they have faired over the last two years there are some sorry looking specimens in my area which had -9c in december, but they are still clinging on a nice warm summer will do them a treat
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

My Washie is still going strong, had more leaf damage than ever before after the winter, but has been pushing out new ones since March icon_thumleft
Attachments
W. robusta Jan 2011
W. robusta Jan 2011
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here is mine in a thunderstorm last week. :lol: 2 latest leaves are intact with no damage, but the first 3 leaves to grow this year had leaf tip damage.

Pics HERE
Attachments
2011-05-26 17-21-32 Washingtonia in the rain.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JakoMonster »

Dave Brown wrote:Here is mine in a thunderstorm last week. :lol: 2 latest leaves are intact with no damage, but the first 3 leaves to grow this year had leaf tip damage.

Pics HERE
Hi dave i have 3 small washingtonia robustas, 2 are in the ground and 1 is in a pot, they are all about the same size (i have posted a picture of one of them below so you know the size of them) my question is the winter, how hardy are they at this size and is there any good ways of protecting them in the winter, as i said 2 of them are in the ground so i can't take them inside, do you have any successfull idea

Attachments
012.JPG