washingtonia robusta how hardy

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
derrick

washingtonia robusta how hardy

Post by derrick »

3 year old plant robusta how hardy .How to get hold of colocasia tubers also some ricinus zanzibarensis seeds please
stephenprudence

Re: washingtonia robusta how hardy

Post by stephenprudence »

Hardy to about -8C I think, in dry conditions. In frosty conditions probably -6C. Much better in wetter soil than Filifera
derrick

Post by derrick »

8c thats ok then i might put it outside spring .I dont want to shock it to much now And they can deal with the rain.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

derrick wrote:8c thats ok then i might put it outside spring .I dont want to shock it to much now And they can deal with the rain.
You should be okay in Southampton, I know it get quite cold there occassionally, but it should be okay :) How big is it?
jezza

Post by jezza »

My robusta was outside at the garden centre and looked a bit sorry for itself. I brought mine indoors and it's growing rapidly (5 new fronds in a month!). I will be putting it outside in the spring to see how it copes.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

A 3year old plant wont be as hardy as the mature ones, if its in a pot can you pop it in a greenhouse or somewhere else for the cold snaps?

As for the colocasia, the asian greengrocers are a good place to start, Wilcos do a few each year too.

For the ricinus, check out Jungleseeds - Peter is a member on here so it may be worth dropping him a pm for a catalogue.

gaz
jezza

Post by jezza »

Gaz wrote:A 3year old plant wont be as hardy as the mature ones, if its in a pot can you pop it in a greenhouse or somewhere else for the cold snaps?

gaz
That's all i needed to know icon_thumleft
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

Just checked a label of above and its says min temp -10 when older, and they can grow 25m tall. mine's about a metre hight and its coping with our -5 here in birmingham at the moment.

anthony
Guy

Post by Guy »

I bought three in a single pot at Akamba in May. They are about a metre high and are planted out in a fairly exposed spot in Nottingham. Have taken -5 without damage so far. Seem quite happy with cold, but one night when it rained then froze to -4 it looked distressed. I'm going to fleece it on and off through the rest of the winter, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far at the lack of damage.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

derrick wrote:8c thats ok then i might put it outside spring .I dont want to shock it to much now And they can deal with the rain.
If you live in the city limits of Southampton itself it should be fine outside, even as a small plant. If you live more out in the suburbs then it may need protecting in colder weather. As has been said robusta can take damp/wet weather better than filifera, so are more suited to our climate, though they are not quite as hardy as filifera. Washingtonia robustas seem to be popping up around Portsmouth in the last couple of years, (B&Q to thank I guess), mine has been out for 6 years & was only around 18 inches high when first planted. Its now huge & has giant leaves... They are very fast growing & even if the leaves get damaged by frost they will quickly grow new ones the following summer...

Pic from back bedroom showing Washingtonia robusta starting to get up over the top of the kitchen roof...
Attachments
garden.jpg
pete G

Post by pete G »

I didn't know that robusta was more able to stand the wet than fillifera.

Can someone tell me where this info comes from.

My fillifera has taken minus 5C but usually by the end of winter most fronds are dead, its only because it recovers so quickly in spring/summer that I find it worth growing.
I've had 3yr old plants killed in their first winter.
Also the damage does not really become apparent until spring, usually.

Not tried robusta, but was under the impression that it came from the same similar enviroment in SW USA/ Mexico.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Minus 8 for a 3 year old in Southampton :shock: absolutely no chance whatsoever.
Without protection you will lose a 13 year old at that temperature here.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dont get confused, a lack of damage on one or two cold nights isnt going to show straight away, you will know come May/June time if your palms have made it through winter :lol:
Its not what happens to the leaves but what happens to the growing point.
Ask yourselves this question, how many good sized Washys do you have in your area, that will give you a good clue to its hardiness.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Nathan, that's a really encouraged photo. Pity I live several hundred miles North, but who knows, if I'm lucky mine might get that big.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dont forget Nathan rarely gets a frost, someone here suggest -8 will be fine, I bet Nates hasnt seen -2.