washingtonia robusta how hardy

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
MarkD

Re: washingtonia robusta how hardy

Post by MarkD »

Talking about Tresco and Washingtonia, there are two Washingtonias in the courtyard where the old abbey ruins are. They're not big, especially compared to the towering palms in there and looked like they were a much more recent addition to the garden.

Taken May 2008
newDSCF1723.JPG
newDSCF1725.JPG
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

MarkD wrote:Talking about Tresco and Washingtonia, there are two Washingtonias in the courtyard where the old abbey ruins are. They're not big, especially compared to the towering palms in there and looked like they were a much more recent addition to the garden.

Taken May 2008
newDSCF1723.JPG
I love the old ruins at Tresco......... hmmmm thermolte blocks ... carving.... new garden... i wonder :D :D ... don't tell Nat :D

Gary
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

themes wrote:Thanks for the info Dave :wink: .
Adrain..if you read this, do not confuse me by saying something that contradicts Dave. Only five months to go!!!
Wont say a word :shock: sort of takes away the discussion bit of a discussion forum though :lol:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

GARYnNAT wrote:I love the old ruins at Tresco......... hmmmm thermolte blocks ... carving.... new garden... i wonder :D :D ... don't tell Nat :D
If you've got the ability then why not :D icon_thumleft
themes

Post by themes »

Adrian wrote:
themes wrote:Thanks for the info Dave :wink: .
Adrain..if you read this, do not confuse me by saying something that contradicts Dave. Only five months to go!!!
Wont say a word :shock: sort of takes away the discussion bit of a discussion forum though :lol:
:D
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Maybe the best thing is to bake that Washingtonia robusta at a south facing wall or close to a building. And with gravel or a paving of stone slap to warm up the soil quicker. And I guess how more fronds it makes in summer the better its survival change after a bad winter.

Alexander
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

We have a smallish one in a pot at the front of the house. Its tucked up against the wall and has some over head protection from the storm porch, and overhanging house roof.

It sailed though last winter, lows recorded were -6. However its in a south facing postion against a house wall which will absorb heat from the sun during the day, and being in an early 1930's house with solid walls rather than cavity walls, the heat loss from the house itself will benefit the washy.

Unfortunately the plants at the front of the house tend to be neglected somewhat, and it really didnt get enough water this last year - its position is in something of a rain shadow - so it didnt do as well as its position would have allowed.

We realy ought to try and plant it - but like everyone else we have a long list of plants that really should be in the ground!!!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi,

I've got on to, it's planted in spring 2004. Last summer was not really a good summer, but this palm was my fastest grower from all my palms. In July it was almost faster then my Musa Basjoo, it's produced almost one leaf in one week.

On 22th of november i've give it a hair cut because it was to big to give it something from protection for the winter.

Robbin
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

That's a very nice looking washingtonia, Robbin!
I have one in a pot too (a bargain buy from B&Q in the autumn)
I could plant it right next to the southfacing back wall of my house, between the wall and the patio. It would be a warm, sheltered and not too wet spot. My only reservation is - would it be wise to plant it so close to the house wall?

Robbin: your Washy seems to be right next to the house wall too - and clearly doing well - so maybe I should just do it!

Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Pete, Mine is 2 feet from a west wall, but on the south side of my covered bit so in a warm SW corner.

The main thing in summer when planted in a very warm, sheltered position is to water well, regularly. Mine is growing in modelling clay :roll:
071007  Washingtonia robusta.jpg
211208 001.jpg
If you compare this pic with the one taken in Oct 2007 upper pic you can see how much it has grown in a season.

Edit :Sorry pics won't load properly at the moment.

Edit 2: pic problem now fixed icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Petefree »

Thanks, Dave
I think come spring I will probably plant the washy next to the house wall then. It is a potentially hot and dry spot, so recognise I will need to irrigate - but presumably palms aren't likely to cause structural damage planted close to a wall?
Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Pete. I'd leave a couple of feet as the trunk if it comes in contact with the wall, will move the wall not the other way around. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

I guess if you plant it just 1 meter from the wall it will be fine.

Alexander
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Pete,

I think that's the reason why it's doing it there very good, because it's a south wall of the south part of the garden. The wall can be in March already 20C sometimes... in July 40C walltempeture is nothing, and it's take a long time to cool off so also during the evening and night it's a little warmer there.

So far i don't have got a problem with it, but it's pushing it away from the wall but that give maybe the tropical effect in the future.

Robbin
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Doesn't look quite so good now :roll: The leaves either get trashed by frost in winter, or trashed by wind in the milder winters. However this winter we have had severe frost with high winds and many of the leaves have be ripped in two then hand down :roll: Provided we don't get too cold it will grow back, but at this point it does not have any undamaged leaves :(
Attachments
040209 pics 022.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright