washingtonia robusta how hardy

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
SteveP

Re: washingtonia robusta how hardy

Post by SteveP »

Dave Brown wrote:it does not have any undamaged leaves
Same here mate. In fact mine looked such a state that I removed all the frosted leaves at the weekend so I could protect the growing point/emerging spear more easily. Just uncovered it again though, didn't want it to 'sweat' too much after the snow.

I will be really glad when this winters over :roll:

Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Is yours still growing Dave ?

Me and Laura both noticed the one out the front has a new leave, moving out slowly, but definitely on the move. Do they not stop when it gets cold ? Or maybe they grow at lower temps than we thought.

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lucienc wrote:Is yours still growing Dave ?

Me and Laura both noticed the one out the front has a new leave, moving out slowly, but definitely on the move. Do they not stop when it gets cold ? Or maybe they grow at lower temps than we thought.

Lucien
Mine has grown over winter and it grows very long petioles, but I only notice general growth. I don't watch every leaf as I can't get above it :roll: Don't think it is growing at the moment, seems more in survival mode :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Guy »

Mine has stopped growing since it has stayed below zero in day, but has no real frost damage so far, which is pleasing for a plant only in the ground 6 months. It will probably die when the frost goes :cry:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Some of the damaged bits are now trimmed off to allow the rising sun to get to the green parts of the leaves. It has started into growth again over the last 2 weeks, with a spear opening into a fan.
Attachments
080309 Trimmed Washie.jpg
080309 Washie spear.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well done!

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Exotic Life wrote:Hi,

Hi Robbin,

How is your Washingtonia doing at the moment? Did it survive the cold winter and is there allready growth? Its an interresting experiment!

Alexander
I've got on to, it's planted in spring 2004. Last summer was not really a good summer, but this palm was my fastest grower from all my palms. In July it was almost faster then my Musa Basjoo, it's produced almost one leaf in one week.

On 22th of november i've give it a hair cut because it was to big to give it something from protection for the winter.

Robbin
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Alexander,

Yes it survived my winterlows, but i have to say my winterlows was nothing if we look to the people that living in the east and southeast. However, the temperatures what i've got this winter was very cold for my garden. Never have seen such of low temperatures in my garden since i started with exotics in 2003.

It is already for more then 2 weeks unprotected, the leafes are more damaged then other years but nothing to worry about. This one growing so fast, that the damage cannot seen anymore in a few months and the first leaf has growed already.

I will make a picture in the next coming days for you.

Robbin
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Alexander,

Here it is, busy with his second leaf this year... Just like i sad, it's more damaged then other years but the growth rate of this one is so fast that the damage is not visiable anymore soon.

A few more years to go and then i can walk under my own Washingtonia :)

Robbin
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Robbin,

It survived the winter because of that heating light cable I guess and some extra wintershelter? I had hoped it just survived because of the very sheltered and warm microclimate. Its a pitty you can only grow them with extra heating in winter.
Maybe when they get bigger they get hardier. Then you do not need artificial tricks anymore hopefully. The good thing about that Washingtonia robusta is that its a very fast grower as most palms are not that fast growers. Especially the hardiest ones like Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:Robbin,

It survived the winter because of that heating light cable I guess and some extra wintershelter? I had hoped it just survived because of the very sheltered and warm microclimate. Its a pitty you can only grow them with extra heating in winter.
Maybe when they get bigger they get hardier. Then you do not need artificial tricks anymore hopefully. The good thing about that Washingtonia robusta is that its a very fast grower as most palms are not that fast growers. Especially the hardiest ones like Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum.

Alexander
Alexander, I hear what you are saying, but this palm is extremely marginal in our climate, and my experience is that leaf damage occurs below -3C. Given that we have had a 1 in 20 year winter, and the temps were very low even in coastal areas, I think Robbin can be forgiven for not experimenting with his beautiful palm. If it was possible I would have fleeced mine in the worst of the weather. If we only have to protect every 10 to 20 years this could be a useful palm for the enthusiast. I can't see it ever being planted as a street or park palm, as the authorities like things to look good most of the time. Mine will look a mess for the next 2 or 3 months. :roll:

Although the east side of the UK has the coldest winters traditionally, we seem to be spared the extreme cold that the west can occasionally get. In winter high pressure with no wind we all get low temps. When there is a westerly flow the west has cloud cover and the east clear cold nights, but tempered by the milder direction of the breeze. However, when there is an easterly flow the air is much colder, but the east has cloud cover and onshore breeze which temper the temperatures. In these situations the west has a cold airflow and clear skies. This gives rise to the anomally of my min of -5.6C compared to coastal Cornwall's -7C. :ahhh!:

I think in technical terms, perhaps simon and correct me if wrong,
Still clear = Radiation Freeze, east and west fairly equally affected
Westerly flow (mild) West = cloudy no freeze. East = clear, radiation freeze
Easterly flow (cold) West = Clear, advection freeze + radiation freeze. East = Cloudy, advection freeze.

This is a very black and white view and there will be all shades of grey possible as well. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

What if your bag on central UK?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

themes wrote:What if your bag on central UK?
Westerlies are better as the air is milder, but it doesn't matter what way the wind comes that much if you are 150 miles from the sea in any direction :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well still your folks in the UK are better of in winter then we do. Always some seawater to warm you a bit!

So Washingtonia is no option for the Low Countries unfortunately.

Alexander
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

-8 appears to have seen our larger one off this winter. Crown full of rot and fungus!