Hardiness debate losely around Phoenix canariensis

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
themes

Re: Phoenix canariensis in cool temperate regions

Post by themes »

B&Q had some 12.99 but they were big. The fronds did not look too stretched that you normally find in garden sheds and it looked quite chunky. I saw that a week ago, don't know if there are any left. Homebase had them at 24.99 the same size, disappointing for homebase as they have been better value for plants then B&Q this year which surprised me
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

South West - consider it more or less fully hardy.

South coast, south east (not too far inland) and sheltered parts of the country consider it semi hardy but will survive most of the winters of recent years, but could still die if we get a tougher one.

Rest of the country consider it tender, it may survive the odd winter but unlikely to last very many.

I don't know what all the arguments are about. Give it a try, but in most of the country be prepared for a poor winter and the plant to die. As long as that is in the back of your mind then you will not be disappointed.
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

Also a lot of people buy young plants and expect them to be hardy straight away, i think if a lot of people would be bringing them in during winter while young and small enough the mortality rate would be reduced when they finally put the outside.

happy growing :)
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

toptropics wrote:Also a lot of people buy young plants and expect them to be hardy straight away, i think if a lot of people would be bringing them in during winter while young and small enough the mortality rate would be reduced when they finally put the outside.

happy growing :)
i havent planted mine yet but i will soon
toptropics

Post by toptropics »

How big are they
Tom_Hereford

Post by Tom_Hereford »

http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?o ... 358&ref=nf
Cruise through here to see my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Herefordshire west mids :o)
themes

Post by themes »

your link shows no pics found, Tom icon_scratch
Tom_Hereford

Post by Tom_Hereford »

Sorry about that!! Here`s the working link. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 358&ref=ts

and picture of my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in 2005

And now in 2009 after a very cold last winter!!!

It`s been in the ground since 2003 as a little £35 specimen from MULU,Tenbury. I love these palms and certainly recommend it!! Herefordshire seems to suit this one....
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

wow looks gret :!: :!: :!: :!: icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Great garden Tom, packed with goodies. You must have been doing this stuff for a few years. I thought that Hereford was quite a cold part of the country, so either it isn't or you are doing really well in spite of it.

I particularly like the takil - how big was it when you bought it?
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

AndrewBird wrote:i havent planted mine yet but i will soon
Probably best to leave them in pots now,August is a little to late for planting palms,wait till spring next year,It will give there roots more time to settle in before winter comes,plant them now they might not make it especially if you get another winter like last year