Tobay Dazzler - How hardy?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
sam140

Tobay Dazzler - How hardy?

Post by sam140 »

Are these as hardy as regular cordylines?
irish dave

Re: Tobay Dazzler

Post by irish dave »

Not as hardy,but not far off.
bev

Post by bev »

if you can grow sundance then this shouldn't be a problem.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

I've got a winter damaged 'sundance' even close to the house it was hit by frost but the standard cordy is growing great down the garden in it's exposed location !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If Torbay Dazzler is the Yellow red and green striped one, there is a 5 footer about a mile from me. I don't recall seeing it protected during the winter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Not nailed on hardy, there are a couple around here that have made a good size but mine need protecting and even that doesnt guarrantee them coming through.
Might be hardy down in the West Country or around London.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Mine always had leaf damage due to frost, but this past winter it got a little rot set in, then with the strong winds we've been getting the head snapped off, I hope it will shoot out from the trunk like my dark green one has after that had a bug and rot, I've had a ton of bad luck in one form or another this past year, I hope it improves soon.

Sunshine Nick icon_sunny
sam140

Post by sam140 »

yeah it is the yellow, red and green striped one. I bought it 1/2 price last week at 14.99
approx 3ft plant. I will keep it out this winter and see how hardy it is.

I had a couple of red ones unprotected this winter and they laughed at the cold weather.
:DD
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

I had 3....2 completely brown bread and the 3rd cut to the ground but looks like multi shoots at the base ...definately NOT as hardy as the green ones,at least here in St Helens.having said that..also took damage to some of my smaller green ones as well!!
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Common wisdom is to tie the leaves snugly together to protect the growing tip in winter. But as I have a personality that throws caution to the wind (literally) I don't do anything to protect any of my cordylines or phormiums. I have a decent sized Torbay Dazzler and it survived the harsh past winter we had and the previous two without any damage. It may be helpful to know that the majority of my cordylines and phormiums are in one bed together and are packed pretty tightly so that may help them survive and thrive.

~ Tessa icon_sunny
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

There are a few around here in people gardens, and to be honest without the knowledge of their hardiness people just buy them assuming they're a variant of the normal Cordyline - that said there has been no damage to any of the specimens around here this winter. There are few Sundance around too, again without any damage.

Remember I actually technically live in a hollow here on the top of a hill, so in the time we do get extreme cold spells, we usually get a degree or so lower than even closely surrounding places. My bet would be that places in close proximity may have only got -3 or -4C this winter but here we got in the -5C range, but even so there was minimal damage even in my own garden so my guess is that most people would actually be fine with Torbay dazzler, although some members live unfortunately in frost hollows inland :(
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Dazzler will cope with -5C reasonably well. A little bit below this it will survive but will look a bit worse for wear.....and below this it is unlikely to survive. As Irish Dave said fairly hardy but not quite as hardy as Australis.

Steve
grub

Post by grub »

Not even slighty hardy for me here :( ,tried the last 3 winters and won't be bothering again
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

My Dazzlers are not really dazzling at the moment. The cause of this being the frost and now what new fronds appear are quickly eaten by the slugs and snails with all this cold damp air. We need heat and lots of it.

Keith
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I find it odd how quite a few seem to be struggling with C.australis. I have been growing both the red and green varieties for at least 5 years with no problems. They have stayed a lush green throughout.

In my garden they coped with -8.9 easily this year and similar temperatures in years in years gone by. I can't help thinking that the problem is not cold, but maybe a combination of wet & cold and also maybe poor drainage and/or high water table.

Any thoughts!!!