Cordyline darkstar & sunrise - how hardy?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
sam140

Cordyline darkstar & sunrise - how hardy?

Post by sam140 »

How hardy are both of these. Has anyone had them outside through this winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cordyline darkstar & sunrise

Post by Dave Brown »

I've not seen these, I have some red star. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
bodster

Post by bodster »

Normally red star is fine. mine were cut back along with almost all my cordies (except indivisia) but they've all come back from the roots
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sunrise is new this year as far as I know and IMO the nicest Cordy thats likely to be hardy.
Not heard of Dark Star so cant comment but I expect Sunrise to be on a par with Dazzler so less hardy than ordinary Australis but hardy enough to try with some protection such as tying the leaves up through winter..
themes

Post by themes »

I have seen Dark star at Homebase. Theirs loads of cordylines on the marketplace now. A smilie for adrian icon_thumright
bodster

Post by bodster »

My southern splendor cordies came through the winter OK and are looking really good now
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Do most Cordyline's get hardier with age. From my experience I think they may do but not sure if this is the case with most cordyline varieties. I know I have a few red star approx 3ft that sailed through the winter exposed to -9c no damage. Was slight damage on the large green one I have though which is 8ft high.
bodster

Post by bodster »

getting larger certainly helps even if only that being bigger means they take longer to freeze
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Looks like i'll just have to test both of these out. The attraction of both is that they add colour with virtually no maintenance.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

I have seen a darkstar,or black cordyline,will try and get a pic of it tomorrow,its about 20ft,it has four or five heads,its hardy over here.
marie06

Post by marie06 »

Can anyone ive me an idea why one of my red star's carked it last winter? The other is in a raised bed next to a wall, and was fine. So was it cold temps or wet roots (although the soil is well drained)?
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Was the other one smaller. A wall would provide protection and some shelter from the hardest frosts.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Here you go,Cordyline Dark Star,and some more 4 story cordys
JULY 28 0001.jpg
JULY 28 004.jpg
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Theres a lot of names coming out now but that looks just like my bog standard purple Cordy.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Thanks for the pic dave but that's not a dark star. :roll: