how hardy are Yucca "Golden Sword"

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
craigmason

how hardy are Yucca "Golden Sword"

Post by craigmason »

how hardy are these plants would one be ok in my garden?
turtile

Re: how hardy are Yucca "Golden Sword"

Post by turtile »

They are extremely hardy. Easily taking temperatures below 0F (-18C) and will survive much lower. The species is native to my area where the record low is -11F (-24C)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That's hardy here then :lol: The leaves look quite floppy for a yucca on that pic. Does it grow a trunk or is it related to Y. filimentosa :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Your right Dave, I've just looked it up and it is Y. filimentosa. Hardy here and flowering at the mo. Mine's floppy too.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have had one of these for a few years and its quite probably THE most undemanding plant I have ever known.

The UK climate has absolutely no effect on it whatsoever, regardless of frost, snow, wind, rain, drought.......It always looks exactly the same...!!

Mine flowered for the first time ever this year too, so gets the seal of approval from me.....icon_thumleft
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

I have one in the sun and one in the shade for the last three years,both are equal and growing very well,
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Hardy enough for the UK for sure, they have been planted around here very much in normal gardens.

Robbin
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Is this the same one???..I got theese from wilkos about 4/5 years ago just labelled yucca....the yellow and green are opposite way round?..they are hardy but never seem to put much volume out...forming a thin trunk about 2 ins.
Attachments
DSCF4228.JPG
DSCF4229.JPG
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Robin is yours in full sun and dryish poor soil? It looks as if it's right next door to a tree that may produce a lot of shade. Mine grew really quickly and has lots of offshoots but it's just on the top of a hedge in full sun.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Yes Carol...in full sun....and youre right..poor soil...I also have 2 others that have been 'burried' under my bergenias...1 rotted....the other i pulled out and moved but it sent out a baby one almost 2 feet from the original!!...then the one that rotted sent a new plant out at the same spot...still burried!...so it has no colour as its never seen the sun till I freed it up...they seem to be hard to kill!
Attachments
DSCF4218.JPG
DSCF4219.JPG
bev

Post by bev »

robin, that looks slightly more like a young y.gloriosa variegata (stiffer leaves with lethal tips).

cheers

lee
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

bev wrote:robin, that looks slightly more like a young y.gloriosa variegata (stiffer leaves with lethal tips).

cheers

lee
Yeah Lee...Its the same colouration as y v. but the leaves are very floppy and no tips at all!..I also have a couple of the Y.Verigata and the plain green ones..both stab me on a reg basis.Not a great pic but thats Y.V. to the left of sun dial...I was gonna do a thread on window pics but never got round to it.
Attachments
DSCF4222.JPG