Phoenix Roebelenii - how hardy?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Linden

Phoenix Roebelenii - how hardy?

Post by Linden »

I've rather fallen for one of these lovely plants on sale in B&Q - looks from the web like it's not very hardy though. Would be planted under trees (which looks ok) we could give free-draining position for sure, but what about frost hardiness? Anyone with any advice please? It's cheap for the type, but not so cheap I would want to risk losing it! icon_scratch
stephenprudence

Re: Phoenix Robelenii - how hardy?

Post by stephenprudence »

I think it should be clarified that it is a hardy plant in a general global sense - it will survive an average UK winter, and it's capable of tolerating a few degrees of frost, however it just doesn't recover very well and it's very slow to grow. There was one stuck outside with no protection nearby, a few moderate frost browned the foliage slightly, but it just didn't grow out of the damage it had the summer after so eventually it would probably die.

I'd say unless you like keeping damaged plants, I wouldn't bother.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Definately not hardy Linden...Lost mine to frost.
Linden

Post by Linden »

Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. I'll just keep popping in to admire it from afar then, until someone buys it! :lol:
banton

Post by banton »

Don't bother linden, unless you winter it inside, mind you they are lovely specimen of a palm, quite tempting!
banton

Post by banton »

Don't bother linden, unless you winter it inside, mind you they are lovely specimen of a palm, quite tempting!
themes

Post by themes »

Prove them all wrong :lol: I have confidence in you. With that freezepruf it may make it icon_salut but to late for this year
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

They are very pretty.

If I had a conservatory I would buy one, but there is no chance I would put one outside through a dreich Scottish winter without some serious protection.
themes

Post by themes »

Adam D wrote:They are very pretty.

If I had a conservatory I would buy one, but there is no chance I would put one outside through a dreich Scottish winter without some serious protection.
I have a mate who is a bouncer, he is looking for work. How much can you spare?
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

themes wrote:
Adam D wrote:They are very pretty.

I have a mate who is a bouncer, he is looking for work. How much can you spare?
:lol: :lol:

they are very nice plants though. i bought one from b&Q as well, it was £49.99, and will go in the porch i think for winter.
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

Not hardy anywhere on mainland UK, and possibly not really hardy even in the Scilly Isles.

Even in the warmer parts of the UK, whilst the plant may survive over winter it will look so awful come spring as to not be worth growing.

Either treat as an annual or put is somewhere warmer for winter.