Isoplexis overwintering

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
lisa

Isoplexis overwintering

Post by lisa »

Hi,I have an Isoplexis scillionensis, I bought it this year and its still in its pot it is about 3ft tall but has not flowered do any members know how best to overwinter these. Thanks. :happy:
Chad

Re: Isoplexis overwintering

Post by Chad »

Isoplexis scillionensis is a new name to me. Is it a hybrid?

Even in Cornwall the whole genus [4 species] is marginal, and I think most of us lost them completely last winter.

On that basis I think I would bring it in over winter. They are evergreen and try to grow a bit through the winter, so I would guess they wouldn't like overwintering in the dark.

They come fairly easily from cuttings, so you could try leaving some out once you have a few 'spare'.

Chad.
lisa

Post by lisa »

I think it may have been labelled wrong and may be sceptrum, having looked at pics on net.
Chad

Post by Chad »

IMHO sceptrum is the best of the bunch. Bolder leaves and a flower spike that actually stands out and is big enough to see without looking for it!

Even in a good winter in Cornwall it is only hardy near the coast and with some overhead cover [overhanging evergreens for example].

There is [was?] a big and impressive stand at Pine Lodge. I haven't been there this year to check on it though.

Chad.
pete G

Post by pete G »

Interesting question, as I bought Isoplexis Canariensis this year.

Its flowering now, but I was wondering on how hardy it might be.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

My isoplexis canariensis has been planted out for 3 winters, last winter killed it back to the ground & it's now about 30cm tall (bear in mind I'm in Italy)
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

After I. sceptrum surviving three winters in Mousehole it died one winter for no apparent reason. It certainly wasn't that cold. I would love to try it again though, it's a very nice shrub.