Polytunnels for winter only

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Linden

Polytunnels for winter only

Post by Linden »

Has anyone bought a polytunnel to put up temporarily over their plants, just for winter? We're wondering whether it's feasible to put a tunnel over a large chunk of garden, then dismantle it in spring. And how do you weight them down if they're on earth or grass? It's pretty windy here often as we're high up. And is the cost of heating one when it's really cold (just to keep from freezing) likely to break the bank? Any experience anyone has would be useful, thanks.
Adrian

Re: Polytunnels for winter only

Post by Adrian »

If you dont get a reply from him then PM Martin (Bodster) as he did just as you want to last winter.
He told me he wouldnt do it again as wind was the biggest problem and trying to keep it on the ground with temporary fixings wasnt easy.
I saw it and it had plenty of big timbers inside but still it wanted to take off.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have just ordered one of these Ebay Item: 160351864437 I have been watching the auctions for a few days, but people keep bidding over the buy it now price :roll:
I think SteveW has just got one as well. icon_thumright

Mine isn't going to be temporary, but I think steve was just putting it up for the winter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bobbyd44 »

been looking at these too for a temp winter tunnel on my decking!!! this year it wil be plenty big enough.. though will i need to heat it slightly??
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

bobbyd44 wrote: though will i need to heat it slightly??
Depends on what you are going to put in it Rob :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bobbyd44 »

nothing major this year so may be jumping the gun..as there is a few things i can put in my hot tub shelter.. mountain paw paw, washy, brahea armata, bananas(yunensis and one to identify) gingers and a home grown taro!! but thinking they be better in the tunnel.
Linden

Post by Linden »

I was looking at the same one as Dave, wondered if tent pegs would do the trick.. From the responses on this thread it looks like several of us will be experts on this subject by spring - for better or worse :lol: I will PM Martin, thanks Adrian :wink:
bodster

Post by bodster »

adrians correct. I did try one last winter. Its hard to tell how effective it was since it was an exceptional winter. I did find that the wind here was a killer. It eventually bend the frame even though I buiold a wooden reinforced frame inside to beef it up a lot. To be able to use the cheap ones you'd need to have a very sheltered garden
Linden

Post by Linden »

Hmmm, it needs thinking about - probably not a great option here. Only other possibility is to take plants to a friend's unused greenhouse - a lot of hassle there though as some are large and a lot of back and forth to look after them. Why oh why don't I just like hardy shrubs? :roll:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i put a false floor down with some cheap freebetoos (3x2's) and filled the gaps with insulation as it was on the patio.then i covered in laminate flooring because it was only £3 a box to clear and cheaper than ply :D drilled holes where the tunnel poles go down and sunk the legs in to them.then secured to frame to the base. then i rolled some baton up in the skirt of the cover and nailed it to the floor. still had a few scary moments watching it twist and rock in the winds but it didnt bend and stayed on the ground..just.
Last edited by redsquirrel on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Linden

Post by Linden »

Thanks Darren, that sounds good, but if we get one, it needs to be taken apart again in spring, as we don't have any room for it, it would be on the main garden. Would your idea work this way?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

no,not unless you wanted a wooden patio.the frame will come off easy enough,ive done it once to put a bigger one in.im not having another though,going to sacrifice the space and get a polycarb greenhouse when i can afford it.the poly got too damp with hardly any cold protection last winter.we are fleece lining it this year,or bubble wrap.i had icicles on the plants on more than one occasion.i couldnt put an electric heater out there because of the moisture and it was too close to the house for a paraffin one
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

this isnt sounding too good i was hoping to place one on my decking and maybe screw down the corners!! thinking the wind prob not get to it close to the house!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think the tension of the cover is important as the polytunnel as a whole is the strength. The frame on it's own is weak.

For those of you who were on UKO in 2006/7 probably remember my 6m x 3m gazebo getting blown onto the bungalow roof in 50mph gusts. I told the wife it was not designed for high winds, but no, ithe instruction to put it up anyway was given. :roll: The problem was the guy cords pulled out of the fabric at the corners, and away it went :evil:

I bought another 6m x 3m gazebo and made simple modifications. I bought polypropalene twisted 5mm rope..... 40m for 99p form a 99p shop. made holes in the cover at the corner (as it is tear proof) inserted the rope through the holes around the inside of the frame and back out. This meant the cover and the frame were anchored. the ropes were then tied to Trunky Tachy, Chammy Chamaerops, a concreted in arbour, and a hazel tree. We've had 40mph gusts since then and it was going nowhere icon_thumright
220809 Gazebo .jpg
As the Polytunnel in the ebay link is tear proof with cord bonded into the cover, you could make holes at either end, threading rope around the frame and either tying it to trees, shrubs or pegged with huge tent pegs. :wink:

My polytunnel site is very sheltered from all 4 sides. So I should not have a problem.
130909 Polytunnel site 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by greg101 »

Becky and i were discussing this last night while we were up the top of the garden. We was thinking of either putting up a tarpulin up over the back of the garden when we get the really cold nights. Ideas were polytunnel plastic, tarpaulin, or carport roof sheets http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4mm-Greenhouse-Po ... .m14.l1262. We were thinking of covering the Musella lasiocarpa, basjoo, bog garden, tetrapanex, cannas. Is it a bit excessive or would the work be worth it? I would just be using it to keep the frost off really.