FreezePruf has Arrived! (back label scan)

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Doug-Tews

FreezePruf has Arrived! (back label scan)

Post by Doug-Tews »

My gallon of FreezePruf concentrate arrived today. :D I've scanned the back label for those interested. I know a lot of people will be interested in the ingredients. However, I believe that information is likely deliberately mislabeled.

In the US, one must list "active" vs. "inactive" ingredients. By definition, active ingredients are the ones delivering the desired effect. Inactive ingredients are usually carriers for the active ingredients, or simply fillers. Percentages of active ingredients must be listed, however, inactive ingredients may be lumped together without specifying their individual percentages.

For example, Potassium salt is listed as an inactive ingredient. However, in a previous discussion (in this, or another forum) someone mentioned potassium can help strengthen cell walls and might be one of the ingredients used in this formulation. It turns out this is the case, and therefore should be listed as an active ingredient.

I suspect, that in reality, the most important ingredients are listed as "inactive" so the exact percentages are not revealed. One article stated the exact ratio of all the ingredients in this formulation was critical for maximum effect. It should also be noted that "Bicyclic Oxozolidines" are apparently a family of related chemicals, so again we don't know precisely what is being used here.

Of the so-called "active ingredients", I suspect the Polyethylene glycol 8000 is likely a carrier for the more important ingredients. And Glycerin is perhaps being used as a wetting agent. Glycerin in particular would normally be listed as an inactive ingredient, so I suspect some subterfuge in the labeling is occurring until the patent is granted.

One nice surprise: When purchased, the online info said this gallon of concentrate would make two gallons of solution. However, it's actually 4 to 1 dilution, so I'm getting twice as much as I had hoped! icon_cheers
Attachments
FreezePruf-back-s.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: FreezePruf has Arrived! (back label scan)

Post by Dave Brown »

Sounds good, but how will you tell if it is working :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

Dave Brown wrote:Sounds good, but how will you tell if it is working :?:
why not ask the plants
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

just for those who dont know,ethylene glycol and glycerin are used in car antifreeze.ethylene glycol crystalizes in the blood stream causing heart faillure if swallowed.could this be the ingredient that works?????
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure