Preparation for winter starts in September

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Preparation for winter starts in September

Post by Dave Brown »

Many of you may think what do I do in September :lol:

The problem I have, and I'm sure I'm not alone, is forgetting exactly what I have where and how hardy it is :roll: so the first thing I do is note down border by border what I have and it's general hardiness.

I give plants 4 hardiness ratings.
1 = Tender - These are plants that are not really cold tolerant at all and don't like to go below about 5C. This classification would include tougher tropical bananas and plants normally associated with being house plants. Musa Dwarf Cavendish would be in this group.
2 = Cool hardy - These are plants that can take a light frost, maybe down to freezing without leaf damage. These would be Alocasia Mac, Calidora, Portdora etc. Also the Ensetes, Small Washingtonia etc
3 = Cold hardy - These plants are pretty tough and can take frost of maybe -2 or -3C so will need protection in cold winter weather. Many of the palms, Livistona, small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Butia, Chamaaerops
4 = Tough as nails - no need of protection. This will depend on where you are, but here with winter lows around -5 to -6C Big Washingtonia, Butia, Chamaerops.

Once these are all noted all the Tenders are moved first under cover while the rest stays out. this is probably End Sep/Beg Oct. As we progess further into Autumn and the temperatures cool off, then the Tenders are brought into the heated Conservatory, and the Cool hardies take their place under cover. This is normally around the End October to mid Novemeber here. This remains in place overwinter with the covered bit doors added in colder winter weather. The Cold Hardies are then either covered with fleece or moved under cover. The Tough as Nails ones just get on with it. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Preparation for winter starts in September

Post by musa_monkey »

Thats a depressing thought :?
It is pressing though, October will soon be upon us so today i made a start on clearing up.

I cleared out the greenhouse then spent the rest of the day sorting out the garage ready to accept circa 40+ bananas etc :shock: of the more hardy varieties as i wont heat it. The more delicate plants will go into the greenhouse which i will heat as necessary. Tomorrow i will make a trip to Wyvale to pick up a couple of pallets, they give away free. I like to use these to raise the pots off the floor as it keeps them warmer and allows for air circulation and drainage.

Need to think about bubble wrapping the greenhouse soon as well, probably next week. Anyone else made a start ?
dave2166

Re: Preparation for winter starts in September

Post by dave2166 »

bit similar here Dave

as i get older so the brain gets more fuddled, and i am hopeless at plant names, 10 mins after planting. so this year i bought a label-writer, white, yellow and red tapes and 500 plant labels

now every plant gets re labelled as

RED - danger not hardy at all needs protection under cover
Yellow - needs winter protection outside, fleece, straw, mulches etc
White - OK to leave in, poss fleece in extreme conditions only.

as i garden on a very thin soil, with horrid clay underneath, waterlogging is my biggest issue, so raised beds are the order of the day.