Lighting rope/heating cable

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Si

Lighting rope/heating cable

Post by Si »

I'm just after advice here please, is this ok to do, wrapping such things round a palm trunk and it's crown? just for the really cold snaps I suppose, any advice would be most welcome :wink:

Cheers,

Si.
Adrian

Re: Lighting rope/heating cable

Post by Adrian »

Yes they do provide a bit of heat but unless its christmas then your garden will look like a fun fair through winter :lol:
In answer to your question, yes it is ok to use them.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Yes they do this a lot in the US not tried it myself i guess it gives a low level background heat.

That and Santa turns up on your doorstep :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I know that rope lights give off heat, but that is not the primary reason for their manufacture, as a lot of the energy will go in light. Would soil heating cables designed for giving off heat, give a better bang for the buck :?: To me it seems like buying a white led and putting a red filter over it :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Si »

I was wondering if you could have them too warm? would this harm the petioles? I really have no idea and bow to the greater knowledge on here, so you reckon soil heating cables would be fine Dave?
simon

Post by simon »

Si, I think the only danger is of the palm getting too warm and starting back into growth but as long as you only have it on during the coldest spells, that won't happen.
Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Simon, most appreciated :wink: