Brugmansia

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
nottingham man

Re: Brugmansia

Post by nottingham man »

I keep them alive over the winter in a heated green house as in my experience anything around a light frost will kill them even on big plants with a large stem. They do sometimes come back from the root stock though if you leave them long enough in a warm enviroment.

I put my big plants iin a heated green house over the winter in as small a pot as the pruned rootstock will squeeze into having taken off most of the top young growth which I use for cuttings. I always seem to have a fair few spares in the spring to give away and then anything I want to grow on goes into the ground or a large pot in late spring. Never be tempted to put them out too early though as the cool nights really hold them back.
becky

Post by becky »

hi everyone i was just looking for some more advice please, i taken lots of cuttings from the main stem, before bringing them in to over winter, they have all done brilliant icon_thumleft but the cuttings have a load of roots now and are just in pots of water, does anyone know whens the best time to pot these up into compost :?: also my mother plant has started shooting more should i just leave it, or take more cuttings :?: i also noticed a massive seed pod on the main stem, its big and green do i need to leave it to get brown or not to get the seeds :?: thanks beck icon_scratch :D
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

put mine in pots about two weeks ago, in the greenhouse, and there are already signs of roots coming out, and plenty of new top growth too.
becky

Post by becky »

thanks dave il pot them up right away then, icon_thumright
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

MonkeyDavid wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:In my limited experience, the roots form a dense mat so digging it out in it's entirety should be easier than many plants. I think most people trim the top back so it will need less root anyway. From what I have heard they are kept almost dry overwinter :wink: Where would you overwinter a 8 x 6 foot plant anyway?
I'm not brave enough to leave it outside as with my luck we'll have another winter like last year, as for the size-well, i'd trim it to a more managable size so it would fit in my shed where i've kept it in previous winters, i'm just concerned that cutting some roots will harm it in some way
I had a huge one back in 2004 I took large stem cuttings and left the plant in the ground it got frosted ,but it came up really well the next year from the ground to about 5 ft . They will deteriate this way and get smaller and smaller and granted it was a mild winter but if you cut all the stems off for propagation you can never really loose
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

brought mine out of the celler the other week.

not sure what to expect from it.
looks healthy enough where i have cut back the withering ends of uppermost branches.
how long until it begins to stir?
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

[quote="Mr List"]brought mine out of the celler the other week.

not sure what to expect from it.
looks healthy enough where i have cut back the withering ends of uppermost branches.
how long until it begins to stir?[/qu
Warmth andwater will kick start it within a week or two green shoots will show keep an eye on the base of the plant, often shoots from there are very strong shoots and once the plant is in fall growth and they are20cm or more you can remove them pop them in a litre bottle of water and they will root readily a whole new plant which if fed well( I swear by miracle grow)may flower before the end of the year
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

don't want anymore of them.

too dangerous to the animals, i just havent the heart to get rid of the one i have already.
mathewtaylor

Post by mathewtaylor »

i bought a couple of established plants in autumn and overwintered, kept fairly dry in a unheated conservatory.
similar to your experience, they have 3 foot of woody stem sticking above the pot which are green if scratched lightly, but still aren't any signs of life yet, despite it having been warm and bright where they are kept for the last month or so. any tips on reviving them?

Surely they should sprout some leaves from the estalbished stem if theyre healthy?

Thanks all!
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

mathewtaylor wrote:i bought a couple of established plants in autumn and overwintered, kept fairly dry in a unheated conservatory.
similar to your experience, they have 3 foot of woody stem sticking above the pot which are green if scratched lightly, but still aren't any signs of life yet, despite it having been warm and bright where they are kept for the last month or so. any tips on reviving them?

Surely they should sprout some leaves from the estalbished stem if theyre healthy?

Thanks all!
The April/may surge will kick in soon I'm sure ,if they are green no worries icon_cheers
mathewtaylor

Post by mathewtaylor »

thank you! :D
mathewtaylor

Post by mathewtaylor »

i have a new shoot come up thro the soil today but no signs of life from the main stem apart from a stubborn leaf bud a few mm's across that refuses to grow and further. bah!

question is, should i pull up the baby shoot as it might take energy away from any potential life in the main stem?
Attachments
stubborn bud.jpg
baby brug.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

those little buds on my mainstem are just starting to move now, nothing from the base.

you might be best to leave the pup for now incase your stem does nothing.

ps

the cross section on your cut stem looks strange.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm not an expert on these, but my one overwintered dry in the poly, has started to produce growth in the last 2 weeks, but it only seemed to do that in response to heavy watering. Your compost looks very dry. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mathewtaylor »

Thanks for your advice Dave & Mr List.
The pots have been watered recently and the soil is still damp as confirmed by picking them up to feel the weight, and sticking my finger just below the soil. (tho the top layer does look dry I agree, but I think thats just where i put a top dressing on recently.)
I think the main stems may be dying as the green bark seems to be slowly receeding back to the base. I guess its my own fault for buying these plants in autumn, tho I'm pretty sure my conservatory was frost free over the winter, maybe it wasn't.

Perhaps I should give them another good soak, got nothing else to lose - didn't want to cause the roots to rot tho.
Thanks again guys.
Mat.