overwintering Ensete outdoors

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Nathan

Re: overwintering Ensette outdoors

Post by Nathan »

simon wrote: Nathan, did you top it off with a notted hanky?
No, but the parasol did go up over it too when it snowed...
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

sorry i posted the wrong link before. what i was on about may make more sense :)
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... kmNtLrbqxw
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes much clearer def worth taking in rather than risk outside a nice clean saw required for the straight cut accros the middle though as mine is allready really thick!
derrick

Post by derrick »

Not sure on my maurelii put them in my unheated conserv .Or i have a box made from insulated pallets with corrugated roof .The weather not bad yet .
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

jezza wrote:I don't have a garage so mine is in my dining room :roll: :lol:

We dont have a garage - or a dining room! ...some of you peeps are SoOh posh! :lol:
Last edited by Cathy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

eyefi wrote:sorry i posted the wrong link before. what i was on about may make more sense :)
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... kmNtLrbqxw

Mmmm... this link is a lot more Yukky, (looked for yukky icon) liked the first one better! :D
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

bobbyd44 wrote:yes much clearer def worth taking in rather than risk outside a nice clean saw required for the straight cut accros the middle though as mine is allready really thick!
Try a (not your best) serrated bread knife, works a treat for Musas as well!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

imagine the mess you could make with a chain saw :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jezza

Post by jezza »

Cathy wrote:
jezza wrote:I don't have a garage so mine is in my dining room :roll: :lol:

We dont have a garage - or a dining room! ...some of you peeps are SoOh posh! :lol:
I have a dining room as my kitchen is now part of the extention :lol: :lol:
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this, but 'Maurelii' and 'Montbelliardii' (esp. ''Montbeliardii'') appear to be considerably hardier than the ordinary green species. I've never lost either of the coloured forms outside over winter, but find the green form very prone to rotting away in early spring no matter what measures I take.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

cheers will try that cathy!!
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

DaveP wrote:I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this, but 'Maurelii' and 'Montbelliardii' (esp. ''Montbeliardii'') appear to be considerably hardier than the ordinary green species. I've never lost either of the coloured forms outside over winter, but find the green form very prone to rotting away in early spring no matter what measures I take.
I'd agree, have lost plain green's in the greenhouse whilst a tiny tandarra red (and all the normal maurelli) survive in there no worries. Also lost a Hiniba in the greenhouse last winter.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I don't have one, nor do I have the space to deal with it in winter, but what an interesting read all the same, well done boys and girls, I am proud of you all :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
plan b

Post by plan b »

I dont fancy leaving mine out this winter, so ive got a few choices my small greenhouse, mums unheated conservatory, or the left field suggestion of keeping it in my vw camper over the worst of the winter, or i could even chop it all back and try it unpotted in the shed. :? :?
Which ever way im determined to get it through as i have been so impressed with this musa so far. :happy:

start of summer..

today...
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

lucienc wrote: I'd agree, have lost plain green's in the greenhouse whilst a tiny tandarra red (and all the normal maurelli) survive in there no worries. Also lost a Hiniba in the greenhouse last winter.
I've had 'Maurelii' come through winters outside well, but lost them to 'strangles' so I eventually gave up on that var.

My first ''Montbeliardii'' grew well in a large container, but I didn't have anywhere to plant it out, so I gave it away. After discovering that Koba Koba was closing down, I hurriedly bought another from David via Ebay and it has survived 2 winters without any protection or special treatment.

Once the last remains of Musa sikkimensis are removed, it will be planted out. The Musa was getting out of hand and taking over everything, so most of it came out last autumn and the rest will be pulled this winter. Ensetes don't 'run about' so it will be better suited to my patch.