Plants outside

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
derrick

Plants outside

Post by derrick »

Musa cavendish and my bougainvillea are still outside .New leaf is growing on cavendish and bougainvillea flowering .There have to come in soon . All seems to be growing are push it a little longer i think .I potted up my Alocasias and some Echiums to keep inside later .Weathers not bad for october .
Nick

Re: Plants outside

Post by Nick »

Derrick my Echium is way to big to even think about digging it up, it must be about 4ft tall with 2.5 long leafs and a nice thick trunk icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

nick mine is the same its going to stay in place!! eveything still out for me!! and some still growing hoping to get some more flowers on my brugs loads of buds!! covered my papaya with a sheet tonight though not got round to digging it up today. ensette basjoos still out..home grown taro still out everything lol!!!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

derrick wrote:Musa cavendish and my bougainvillea are still outside .New leaf is growing on cavendish and bougainvillea flowering .There have to come in soon . All seems to be growing are push it a little longer i think .I potted up my Alocasias and some Echiums to keep inside later .Weathers not bad for october .
keep your eye on the forecasts derrick.i put a nice cavendish out for some fresh air last october,keeled over and carked it in no time
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
derrick

Post by derrick »

I got twelve echiums nick most will stay outside . Two i removed some of the leaves and there go inside .There not as big as last year 3 feet 4 feet .I dont need them all .My luck there all survive the winter and are have nothing but echiums hairy weeds .
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Sikkimensis , and smaller Basjoo's inside now, will prob do the Ensete this weekend. the echium though is 4foot + now with a trunk at least 5 inch diameter, so he's staying put. got some rolls of Jute netting which i will be using, for certain plants. Rob got these from Woodford Park after i dropped your Gunneras off... hope it will look a bit nicer than fleece.

everything else is staying, will do the wrap up on the bigger basjoos later this month, and tree ferns will get crown stuffed. hedychiums and cannas will stay in as last year but this time i will mulch, they survived last years weather but were slow, now havibg flowered (hedychiums) i wont to get them going quicker in 2010
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

nice one never been there dave!! they got alot of tropicals or is t bog standard stuff!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sadly no G/H or spare room indoors, so everything is having to stay put, I would like to keep the growth my Basjoos have slowly put on this year, but again away most of November so how knows what I'll come back to, My echiums was doing well last winter with good signs of them making it through to spring, but then we had that icy blast for weeks and it sub-come to the ice in the end, most sad, I would love one to flower and set seed, I've herd that if you can get them to flower your never be with out them again as they will come up everywhere, not 100%sure if that was completely true or not, so I have to get mine through this winter to find out icon_scratch

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

One Super dwarf cavendish planted outside still but that is coming in this weekend. All the other SD Cavs came in to the consevatory 2 weeks ago. The cavendish family are not happy at below 10C, but can survive the occasional 6C.. I think you are pushing your luck Derrick, they will appear to be ok, but the damage will be done and they go downhill rapidly after just one chilly night. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dave2166 »

bobbyd44 wrote:nice one never been there dave!! they got alot of tropicals or is t bog standard stuff!!
a few big Dicksonia antarctica's but then its Cheshire with Cheshire prices, a few bits are tropical, got a real nice echium fastuosum in the spring, flowered first time out too. some run of the mill, its just luck really. right opposite BAe systems main gate
derrick

Post by derrick »

Yeh i think the same its a lot colder this morning Dave i took cavendish in and some other plants .
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

according to weather underground, my nearest station, less than 1 mile away the low so far this month has been 1.3C !!!!!,

no prizes for guessing what i'm doing this weekend then, more digging, potting, and battening down the hatches for winter.................. depresssing isnt it?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

everything that survived last winter is staying put outside.surely we cant have another one that bad again so soon.the big washy might get a perspex sheet,as with the larger agaves,we have a shelter now for the yuccas and dasylirions to keep the crowns dry so that is an improvement on last year.most things that died havent been replaced as it was an expensive learning curve last winter and money is too tight to waste this time round. icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nick

Post by Nick »

I agree, all that survived will be ok I hope, I have new stuff but I at least know unless it's really cold it should be ok, but no where for it to go anyway, so it will have to fend for it's self, it's sad, as now last winter memory's are creeping back into ones mind :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Normally I don't start preparing until the half term holiday (a couple of weeks away) but am going to put my protection in place this weekend so that I can just pop the tops on when needed. Will probably bring one or two tender plants in but the rest are staying out a bit longer. Had ice on the windscreen yesterday, but came off in one sheet when the wipers were turned on. :ahhh!:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.