Bubblewrap bubble size (Greenhouse insulation)

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Bubblewrap bubble size (Greenhouse insulation)

Post by Dave Brown »

I know most people use the small bubble bubblewrap, but is there any insulation advantage. The big bubble bubblewrap is less opaque. Of the 2 I prefer the big stuff. Anyone got any comments :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Bubble wrap bubble size

Post by Adrian »

Dave Brown wrote:I know most people use the small bubble bubblewrap, but is there any insulation advantage. The big bubble bubblewrap is less opaque. Of the 2 I prefer the big stuff. Anyone got any comments :?:

Comments? yes Dave, forget the small bubble wrap, the big bubble is the one to go for, it wins hands down every time.
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

Hi Dave,
Ive always used the large bubble wrap its much better than the small and i think lasts longer 8) just put new this autumn after about 8 years . icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks Guys. BBW it is then icon_thumright :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've heard of the "bubble wrap" method, but just what plants is it being used for? Soft plant material I'd guess since the pokey or prickly stuff would rupture the bubbles rendering it useless. Never used it personally.

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:I've heard of the "bubble wrap" method, but just what plants is it being used for? Soft plant material I'd guess since the pokey or prickly stuff would rupture the bubbles rendering it useless. Never used it personally.

Cheers, Barrie.
Sorry Barrie, the title was a bit ambiguous. I was referring to use as greenhouse insulation (Now edited the title) I would not avocate wrapping individual plants in bubblewrap or rotting is a real possibility :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Bubblewrap bubble size (Greenhouse insulation)

Post by musa_monkey »

Given air is an insulator all things being equal more of it should increase insulation. Actually its the heat transfer coefficient that matters and that is impacted but local environment but overall yes the bigger stuff will work better. I must admit i use the smaller stuff though because i fine it easier to handle :?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Big bubbles has to be a better insulator as it is thicker in cross section, as in double glazing. I also sealed up all the glass/glass/frame joints before hand, using heavy duty clear PVC tape. (Screwfix I think) A tedious task, but ensured no cold draughts.
pete G

Post by pete G »

I tend to use what ever they are using to wrap stuff at work with :lol:

So large or small, its all the same to me.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Dave Brown wrote:
Las Palmas Norte wrote:I've heard of the "bubble wrap" method, but just what plants is it being used for? Soft plant material I'd guess since the pokey or prickly stuff would rupture the bubbles rendering it useless. Never used it personally.

Cheers, Barrie.
Sorry Barrie, the title was a bit ambiguous. I was referring to use as greenhouse insulation (Now edited the title) I would not avocate wrapping individual plants in bubblewrap or rotting is a real possibility :wink:

Ahh got ya Dave :wink: ... rot is what I thought of and that's why I've never used it on individual plants. Most times here I've seen double walled greenhouses, one layer on the exterior and a second on the inside of the framework.

Cheers, Barrie.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

As much as I used to use the large bubble, I dont use anything now prefering the extra light and less condensation by doing without, downside is slightly higher leccy bills but not noticably so.
I would use anything that I could lay my hands on for the unheated small greenhouses but again I wouldnt worry if they were left.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I also use large, tacked around the frame and it lasted 2 years but will be renewed this winter.

Dave B. regarding your signature....quid est?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

carolpz wrote:
Dave B. regarding your signature....quid est?
I Live for summer sun and warmth and the translator said "Victus pro estas sol solis quod tepidus"
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by carolpz »

Ahhh of course, my latin is very rusty now, thanks for the translation. icon_study