The greenhouse is coming - at last!

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Linden

The greenhouse is coming - at last!

Post by Linden »

After much work with tape measure and battens, we discovered that we could crowbar in a small 6 x 6 greenhouse just in front of the summerhouse where I work (concrete base already there, it's part of the driveway)! It's being delivered tomorrow and of course we have to set to and get it up and running this weekend if we can hope to save our plants for this year - we're told a couple of days is plenty! Spitfire has many amazing qualities but alas diy is not among them, and I am currently suffering from a severe bout of sciatia so it'll be a challenge Having cleared the area of plants, we discover it's far from level (maybe drops about 3" one corner to the other) and there's a manhole cover that the frame of the greenhouse will have to go over, so we hope we'll never have to lift the manole or we'll have to dismantle the greenhouse to do it. icon_rambo I'm so impressed by Dave's photos and story of his polytunnel, I'm going to try to do the same with our greenhouse building - at least it should give you a few laughs! We're going to level the frame with pieces of wood, then put mortar in between... when it's dry we'll then remove the bits of wood and fill those gaps, leaving a couple of gaps on the fall side for drainage (the greenhouse people assure us this will work hmmmmm). Any tips before we start would be gratefully taken on board people...
dave2166

Re: The greenhouse is coming - at last!

Post by dave2166 »

been there, done that, got the t shirt....

built mine during September, and now up and running, cant think why i didn't buy one years ago..

pointers for your build

1 read the instructions, and then read them before you do each section
2 dont unpack any items until you need them, saves hunting for the right bit when you need it and keeps things tidy
3 dont put the glass in until you;ve got it squared up, when its glazed the weight will make it very difficult to move
4 dont rush it, take you're time... mistakes are a pain if you have to dis-assembly parts

have fun
Attachments
DSC_0023.JPG
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

is that glass or polycarb dave?its very clean whatever it is
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Good News!

I put up my greenhouse about five or six years ago. It's about 8ft x 12ft, and is a good quality one. It was very easy to erect and did it entirely on my own apart from hoisting the roof windows into position, they were very heavy and had to be slotted into a narrow slot on the ridge which is quite high, that took two of us and even then it was very difficult.

The main thoughts I have are that it is important for everything to be level and square ~ otherwise the glass may not fit! If it has toughened glass be aware that the edges of the glass are very vulnerable, the slightest knock on the edge apparently can shatter a sheet. I put down blankets while working so that the glass did not come into contact with the paving slab base.

I would be a little worried about restricting access to a manhole cover. In every house that I have owned at some time or other it has been necessary to access the manhole.
Linden

Post by Linden »

Thanks for the advice guys... That looks the same as ours (Hercules Trafalgar) - they tell us if we have to glaze each panel before putting it in place, that's possible although a bit more difficult, but as each is only 6 x 6 shouldn't be impossible. We may have to put it near summerhouse and fence - not sure till we start as it's easy to lay battens on the floor and think access will be ok round the side, but a glass wall may look different and be too cramped. Manhole cover alas has to be covered, but again they told us (!) it's not too difficult, taking glass out would be a couple of hours if we had to, then would be easy to move frame. Methinks we could have been 'sold' on the idea...
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

redsquirrel wrote:is that glass or polycarb dave?its very clean whatever it is
its 4 mm safety glass.... i havent cleaned it yet, but had lots of rain since built so it has been cleaned by god !!!
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Linden wrote:Thanks for the advice guys... That looks the same as ours (Hercules Trafalgar) - they tell us if we have to glaze each panel before putting it in place, that's possible although a bit more difficult, but as each is only 6 x 6 shouldn't be impossible. We may have to put it near summerhouse and fence - not sure till we start as it's easy to lay battens on the floor and think access will be OK round the side, but a glass wall may look different and be too cramped. Manhole cover alas has to be covered, but again they told us (!) it's not too difficult, taking glass out would be a couple of hours if we had to, then would be easy to move frame. Methinks we could have been 'sold' on the idea...
yep its a Hercules Trafalgar, 6x8, couldn't slot in anything larger.... you'll love the high eaves, increases the growing space no end and if you've got a bad back much less bending over..

the instructions definitely do NOT tell you to glaze each section before putting into place. like you i had an obstruction to deal with so did the rear gable first then shuffled back into place. then i did diagonally opposite roof section only, then sides, door then did the roof... by this stage it is VERY heavy.. and creaks and cracks if you try to move it on your own. the final squaring up is a two man job..

it took me, on my own a weekend to build and glaze all sides , did the roof in an hour.. mind you the capping bars take a knack to avoid them pushing the glass over to one side. if you're using clips then good luck!.

IMHO, don't use their silicone for sealing the base its crappe. use a flexible mastic, good quality. i did mine in side and out, used 2 tubes, ran our and used there's, now it leaks down one side, which can wait till the spring now
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

they say that every man should have a shed, well this ones got his greenhouse...

got power, got light, got a heater, got a radio, could even brew up if i had too.. in fact apart from the loo and food i could go across there at 8 and not go back indoors till 6

BLISS!!!
Attachments
DSC_0003 edit.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

Chalk Brow wrote:Good News!

I would be a little worried about restricting access to a manhole cover. In every house that I have owned at some time or other it has been necessary to access the manhole.
:lol: manhole :lol: sorry :oops:

Hope it goes well Linden..If its any comfort I am rubbish at DIY. I have loads of glass bricks and was considering doing something to protect plants with them but alas It would be unsafe If I built it..something to think about next year i guess icon_scratch

Good luck
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

themes wrote:
Chalk Brow wrote:Good News!

:lol: manhole :lol: sorry :oops:
I cannot image what you are thinking Mo! :wink:
themes

Post by themes »

Chalk Brow wrote: I cannot image what you are thinking Mo! :wink:

Give it a few more months of chatting with me..this lewd and lascivious behaviour is rubbing off on everyone its just a matter of time
themes

Post by themes »

dave2166 wrote:they say that every man should have a shed, well this ones got his greenhouse...

got power, got light, got a heater, got a radio, could even brew up if i had too.. in fact apart from the loo and food i could go across there at 8 and not go back indoors till 6

BLISS!!!
Release the rocks from their prison.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

my rocks are loose and free.............
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

dave very tidy and organised green house. your definatley not spending enough time in there !! :lol:
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

bobbyd44 wrote:dave very tidy and organised green house. your definatley not spending enough time in there !! :lol:
i'm working on it, but slowly slowly catchy monkey.... any more time might be grounds for divorce lol

and its only 4 weeks old so early days