The greenhouse is coming - at last!

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
bobbyd44

Re: The greenhouse is coming - at last!

Post by bobbyd44 »

hheheehhe get freeview and go for it!!! yes think i would be the same way. i have just the one area i may have put one into a fern area with one of the gunneras off you in the real corner so hey ho!! i might have ot come up with a way to seal off my hot tub area some how??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

freeview............ bloody good idea...

icon_thumleft
Linden

Post by Linden »

FINALLY... after all these weeks (thank goodness mild weather weeks!) the greenhouse is finished. Had to get a couple of guys in to complete it as I'm still out of action with sciatica, Spitfire will spend the weekend lifting plants and potting them up to go in there, and I can't wait to start pottering about (a bottle of wine to hand of course) cosy and sheltered from the elements - not much room to potter as it's only 6 x 6 but it'll be great. I've only ever thought about a greenhouse to overwinter plants in - a whole new ballgame to think about what we can grow in the summer - I've wanted a greenhouse for at least 30 years! icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

well done, welcome to the warmth!!!

i never thought i would ever want/need/get a greenhouse, but now i think how did i manage without one.
i've got musa's putting out new leaves, aeoniums still going for it, and echiums who think they are still in summer, although heated, its keeping a 12min and 16 max at the moment...

and it sure is nice on a wet autumn saturday afternoon, listening to the footie results and thinking .................. :DD :DD
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just in the nick of time Linden, Winter starts on Monday, and officially on Tuesday. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Linden »

Yes, I got that link to the weather in real time that you put on Dave, and saw the forecast... Been waiting for my two helpful guys for weeks now, they arrived just in time bless them! Mind you, it's pretty nippy here in High Wycombe tonight, and I wasn't able to put anything in the greenhouse myself thanks to my wretched sciatica, and David got here when it was pitch dark, so fingers crossed the plants can hang on another night until tomorrow when we can tuck them up safely for the winter :roll:
jezza

Post by jezza »

Linden wrote:, it's pretty nippy here in High Wycombe tonight, :
Same here, then again i'm only 20 minutes from you so i suppose it would be :lol:

After much wrangling with the housing association i managed to get permission to put my greenhouse up. They were refusing permission because it attaches to the house and it's 7ft W x 6ft D, and they would only allow 8ft W by 5ft D. Luck was on my side however after i found out that the area in question had planning permission for a larger conservatory that used to be there but was pulled down 9 years ago as it was unsafe (you can see the black line above the greenhouse where it used to be). They finally gave in.
HPIM5602.JPG
Linden

Post by Linden »

Oh you lucky thing... you can go straight from your house into the greenhouse! Don't have to get wet or cold! And a real stroke of luck finding out about that former conservatory - shame they didn't leave it there for you! icon_salut
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

glad to see yours raised up a bit jez icon_thumleft im going to get a greenhouse next year,my polytunnel is so wet inside,it may aswell not be there. Linden,hope your sciatica goes away soon, nasty awful pain by all accounts
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jezza

Post by jezza »

I had to raise it up as the greenhouse was 10 inches lower than the door. I would have been knocking myself out every time i walked into it. I got the concrete blocks for free, they were left over from a small building that was put up at work icon_thumleft

The greenhouse itself cost £249.00.

It's an east facing wall and with those fence panels and heat from the house, it's the perfect protection.
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

looks good mate. wow £249 i didnt realise greenhouses costed so much, you must be losing your touch, auld have thought that the bargain king could have got a deal.
jezza

Post by jezza »

The wife bought it from her littlewoods catalogue. Who am i to complain :wink:
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

sounds more like it. either you get a bargain or you get the missus to pay. you really have life sorted out mate!