When 2 bring Palms Indoors and Start Protecting Outdoor Palm

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Sat

When 2 bring Palms Indoors and Start Protecting Outdoor Palm

Post by Sat »

The mild October is gone and November has started to get cold. Remembering the destructive powers of the cold winter of 2009. I want to make the right choices of what I bring in and what I protect outside.

1) So When is the right time to bring Potted Palms inside Forecast here is lows of 4 - 6 at night now in Nov.
- My potted Palms are Washys, 1 Large & 1 small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Yucca, Tracy (Large and small), Small Codys, Fatsia, Small Champ Humlis

2) The Planted Palms are as follows , is the below correct protection:-
Dickinson Fern - Tie up ferns and wrap around with fleece (Just need to knbow when to do it?).
Many Cordys Small and Medium - Wrap the crown and fleece around the small ones.
Small Gunnera - Cut the large leaves and cover the crown with it.
Champ Humlis - No Protection required
Trachycarpus - No Protection required
Yucca Glorias - No Protection required

Is it worth putting Bark or straw around the base of outside palms to protect the roots from frost.

Please tell me which need protecting and if above right and if not what should be done and what the protection should start?
Davey

Re: When 2 bring Palms Indoors and Start Protecting Outdoor Palm

Post by Davey »

Hi Sat, not sure I know the answers as I am only a novice myself, but here is what I do.

Many Cordys Small and Medium - Wrapped top to bottom, but only for the present cold spell, I will take fleece off as soon as it warms up to +3-5
Small Gunnera - I cut what leaves I have left and covered the crown. Lost my main Gunnera last year, but still have two that survived.
Champ Humlis - No Protection one in the ground and one in a big pot with no base, just to see how far the roots tap down.
Trachycarpus - No Protection as I bought one today and have it in-doors, but tough as old boots so it will end up outside.
Yucca Gloriosa - I never protect
Spikies such as Aloe and Agave americanas are in a cold green house, only Aloe aristata in cold house as most other Aloe's would turn to mush.
Fatsia's and Fatsiahedra - no protection, except that one already has a large confifer hanging over it.
Basjoo - inside, but again like with Trachycarpus, only as I purchased it today.
CIPD and Washie both indoors as they are both young plants.