Pot protection inside Hammock Cover

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Sat

Pot protection inside Hammock Cover

Post by Sat »

I covered my hammock today with the Hammock cover I already had. I also took the swing off the hooks and place at the back to keep weight on the cover.

After this I realised there is a lot of space in here for protecting the pot palms.

I was planning on putting most my palms inside the garage, but do you think this may be a better place, because I can open up the cover during the day to let wind and air pass through. In the night I can zip it close.

Or will the garage be better as it will be slightly warmer with the 4 walls and a window?
Attachments
Possible Palm protection from frost inside a hammock.
Possible Palm protection from frost inside a hammock.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Pot protection inside Hammock Cover

Post by Dave Brown »

That looks an ideal place Sat icon_thumright I'd keep it open unless frosty. Also if you get one of those survival blankets and place in the back it is a thermal block and reflects light into the back of the plants :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I've done this for the last couple of years Sat, only we have a swing seat instead of a hammock & I put plants on the seat and underneath it.

I also put blocks of wood under the pots to keep them off the ground.

In truth I have no way of knowing how much good this all does, as I use it for stuff that would probably survive without protection - potted agave, chamaerops, butia etc.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I would not have thought that it would give that much protection myself, but who knows icon_scratch anyway I hope it works for you icon_thumleft

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

as mick c says,blocks of wood wouldnt go amiss and yes,definate frost protection there if you get a rough forecast.remember to open in the day time,i forgot to open my polytunnel yesterday,its wringing wet in there now with condensation
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nick

Post by Nick »

I stand corrected then, well I am amazed that it would protect in a frost icon_scratch

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nick wrote:I stand corrected then, well I am amazed that it would protect in a frost icon_scratch

icon_sunny icon_sunny
My experience is that it is not necessarily the temperature that causes damage but the hoar frost forming on the leaves. I've had Musa basjoo keep it's leaves undamaged at -3C before under my covered bit. 8)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Sat »

Hard frost in midlands and I thought I check the palms I stored in the Hammock over, see pic. The cover was closed during the night.

No frost on the palms but the soil on most on the palms was hard, needed a screw driver to pick into the soil, with some crystal forming showing see pic. Is this a concern?

Secondly my Fatsia japonica has dropped the leaves and notice the soil been very dry, I kept this at the back of the cover so little rain would get in and light.

Should any palm be light watered?

I also noticed my Yucca leaves have brow spots on them, what is this?

The palms in there are tracy, champ, cycad, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Yucca, small cordy, Phorium
Attachments
Palms in Hammock cover
Palms in Hammock cover
Frost hard soil
Frost hard soil
Fatsia japonica dropped leaves?
Fatsia japonica dropped leaves?
Yucca leaves spots on leaves
Yucca leaves spots on leaves
Nick

Post by Nick »

Good photo's there with some lovely looking plants, I hope your shelter keeps them alive, and that you don't have to many losses.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Sat

Post by Sat »

Hi, thanks.

Do you think there is any slight chance of any of the palms been killed in this shelter?

If there is I can store some inside my garage?

I don't want any losses at all this winter!
Nick

Post by Nick »

what sort of frost temps have you been having up there :?: :?: Do I see some small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's within your collection :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sat, you can see from my 1st pic that I haev similar damage, it has overwintered in the same place for last 3 years with no spots so not sure why it's preently upset. Note 2nd pic of Spikey sitting in same cold house.

Does anyone have any ideas whether damage like this on the yuccas and Agave is common?
Attachments
Agave showing similar damage to your yucca
Agave showing similar damage to your yucca
agave in same cold house with no damage
agave in same cold house with no damage
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sat, my Fatsia's and Fatshedra are both doing okay as well as Chammies. see pics below. Up until now I have not had Fatsia or Chammy casualties. Chammy pot has no base, been there for two years so hopefully roots have tapped down into the ground by now. I know the Fatshedra isn't really relevant, but I love it. C. australis are the only plants presently wrapped in fleece.
Attachments
Fatshedra, normally shaded by V. Brandt in the summer;
Fatshedra, normally shaded by V. Brandt in the summer;
Fatsia Nw facing in front garden
Fatsia Nw facing in front garden
Fatsia Sw facing under conifers in backgarden
Fatsia Sw facing under conifers in backgarden
Chammy next to Yucca
Chammy next to Yucca
Sat

Post by Sat »

Hi nick - I have had -4c at night with frost. Of the less hardy palms in there I would say 1 small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP , a Cycad, Washington, Small Cordys. Do you think these may be better off inside the garage?

I notice the damaged on the yucca is when I open the cover and remove the fleece inside the hammock in the morning, but I think it does recover afterwards, look like wet leaves?

Davey - Nice pics of yr fatsia.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Sat, me personally I would keep the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and the Washingtonia and the Cicada in the garage, but make sure you let them out on milder days, is your garage any heating within :?: