Cordylines, do i have to protect them?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
eddie

Cordylines, do i have to protect them?

Post by eddie »

Do you protect your Cordylines? I spray them as a precaution with anti-fungis stuff from Bayer once a week. I've got pretty much the same winter temps as our forum admin I think. I've had no frost yet. But maybe with all this water coming down they would like a roof over their heads?

I did not protect them last winter, one was undamaged and another lost his head. He grew back like a dozen or so new heads this summer :ahhh!:
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
bobbyd44

Re: Cordylines, do i have to protect them?

Post by bobbyd44 »

i only have a couple and generally just tie them up to a point and leave them too it!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cordylines, do i have to protect them?

Post by Dave Brown »

They have not required protection here since the early 1990s but as we seem to be going into maybe a cooler winter phase we may need to on the odd occasion. It is only possible on smaller ones as my big one I can't even reach the leaves, let alone protect them :roll:

Any protection should be temporary. In the past I have tied a peice of plastic coated cable (disused mains cale) losely around the base or trunk. Then when cold weather is forecast you slide the cable up, gathering the leaves. Then depending on how cold they forecast wrap fleece around the outside. However you must unwrap and open the leaves as soon as the cold spell is over or you will encourage rot :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright