DIY summer project - greenhouse/conservatory

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
ash101uk

DIY summer project - greenhouse/conservatory

Post by ash101uk »

At the bottom of my garden we have a concrete shed (south facing). To the side of this we had a concrete area about 11' x 8'. My inital plan was to buy a cheap greenhouse off ebay and put it onto the concrete area or get a lean too to mount to the shed.

A relative suggested the idea of buying a cheap double glazed window and door off ebay and building my own double glazed greenhouse.

I took up the challange with no buliding expirerence and decided to build by own greenhouse/conservatory which I have almost finished.

I still have to join the roof to the shed and add tubular heaters around the greenhouse.

I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer:

I get alot of condensation in the morning on the roof and windows. Is this a problem now and over winter?

What temperature will I need to maintain in the greenhouse to keep tropical plants growing over winter?

What is the optimal postion for placing the tubular heaters? I have 12' of tubular heaters.

If anyone is feeling brave I would recommend giving it a go and building your own greenhouse. This whole project cost me about £700-800.

Ash
Attachments
IMG_0251.jpg
DSC_4602.jpg
DSC_4617.jpg
DSC_4628.jpg
jezza

Re: DIY summer project - greenhouse/conservatory

Post by jezza »

Nice one. Better than my attempt lol. I kept my greenhouse at 10c last winter and everything was fine. I am thinking of dropping the temp to 6 or 7c this winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looking good Ash icon_thumright

I am leaning more towards a solid structure that can be insulated fully to the expense of light from November to to mid February. The cost of good lighting is a fraction of the cost of heating.... so conserve heat by super insulation and give 12 hours light (better than normal day length). A Greenhouse is to trap sunlight, in winter there isn't any to speak of. Best turn it into a cellar with good lighting for winter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Great work Ash

I would expect a lot of condensation with the soil borders and moisture of all those plants. I would consider keeping the air on the move with a fan heater so you don't suffer fungal issues.

As for temperature to keep tropical plants growing over winter. The answer is how much do you want to spend on heating bills.

For me, it's keep it frost free in the greenhouse. The conservatory is open plan to the dining room so it's actually too hot and dry for many plants. No fungal issues but red spider mite, etc :roll:
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

So i have finally got rid of the tomato's and had a chance to install the heating and finish the paving slabs and shingle floor.

I will post some pictures of it full of plants tomorrow. Just wish i built it even bigger!

Ash
Attachments
photo.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It's looking good ash, nothing like getting on with the job. I had an extension lead powering mine last year, and it look like it will be the same this year. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright