Metrosideros umbellata

kata

Re: Metrosideros umbellata

Post by kata »

If I was going to spend 15 quid on a shrub then it would have to be the red...beautiful Mike!!

They do have a red Mike

METROSIDEROS excelsa 'Parnell' icon_cheers icon_cheers but not till April.
Rod

Post by Rod »

This is a variety we grow here in Christchurch.
It is a natural hybrid between M.excelsa & M.umbellata
Attachments
METROSIDEROS Maungapiko.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

They're lovely Rod !

icon_cheers icon_cheers
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

My pot grown (60cm) specimen is bearing up well in the light frosts we've had. I'm holding off bringing it under cover as long as I dare, as the house move seems likely (next Feb?) and I have just the spot lined up for it - an eight foot south facing wall. Two Clianthus puniceus (red and white) to go with it, plus maybe my Polygala myrtifolia (which continues to flower despite the frost).
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Rod wrote:

Hi Nigel - Metrosideros excelsa is more frost tender than the other 2x main forms found here in New Zealand ( M.umbellata and M.robusta )
These 2x should take down to -6° to -7°c when larger and established in the ground.
M.excelsa is only hardy down to -4°c
Thanks Rod, was a long time ago now, when I had my M. Excelsa [or should I say ex-excelsa], it had the silvery sheen to the leaves, but I'll loook out for one of the other forms.
Interesting that bit you said about sourcing a plant derived from cuttings with flowers attached, to ensure flowering I'll try doing that.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nigel Fear wrote:
Rod wrote:

Hi Nigel - Metrosideros excelsa is more frost tender than the other 2x main forms found here in New Zealand ( M.umbellata and M.robusta )
These 2x should take down to -6° to -7°c when larger and established in the ground.
M.excelsa is only hardy down to -4°c
Thanks Rod, was a long time ago now, when I had my M. Excelsa [or should I say ex-excelsa], it had the silvery sheen to the leaves, but I'll loook out for one of the other forms.
Interesting that bit you said about sourcing a plant derived from cuttings with flowers attached, to ensure flowering I'll try doing that.
Hi Nigel - Yeah because of the fact that they take very long to flower from seed, all the garden centres propagate them via cutting to ensure instant flowering upon purchase. ( People are more likely to buy them )
I will be going down to my local garden centre during this month, and i will take a picture of some in pots in flower to show you.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Heres my small 16 inch tall, cutting grown Metrosideros 'maungapiko ( M.excelsa x M.umbellata ) It will be flowering in a week or two.

The last photo is of a Metrosideros umbellata growing 465km off the southern coast of New Zealand at latitude 50°43' south
Attachments
Metrosideros ( Excelsa x Umbellata ) - EDITED.jpg
Metrosideros umbellata_Auckland Islands_At_50°43's_latitude.jpg
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Very nice Rod, makes me all the more determined to grow one. 8)
Rod

Post by Rod »

Metrosideros umbellata see's temperatures down to -10°c in the Arthurs Pass region of New Zealand.