Hardy gerberas

philip kitts

Hardy gerberas

Post by philip kitts »

Anybody tried these yet I just bought 3
DiCasS

Re: Hardy gerberas

Post by DiCasS »

Bought one last year Phil, and planted it out. I'm not sure when these should be making an appearance but have my doubts it will have survived this last Winter here :( A lovely vivid red it was, making a welcome splash of colour throughout Summer and Autumn.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

never heard of hardy ones....but I love them.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

But you never heard of them HAHAHAHA Coddy

I know what you mean though. :lol: :lol:
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

They were duropa strain I think .they have been quoted as hardy to-6c evergreen and flower from march till November apparently. bought a pink a red and a yellow unfortunately my puppy likes them so I have overturned hanging baskets covering them at the moment till he finds something else to chew on grr ! :roll:
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

DiCasS wrote:Bought one last year Phil, and planted it out. I'm not sure when these should be making an appearance but have my doubts it will have survived this last Winter here :( A lovely vivid red it was, making a welcome splash of colour throughout Summer and Autumn.

Di
I did wonder. fantastic pics by the way is that schefflera taiwanensis in pic 1478 how did that fair?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Phil and well spotted. Yes that's a taiwaniana behind the Dasylirion. Hows it done? Eerm, well it's totally defoliated, but it does that every year, but this year I've lost the top 4inches (10 cm.) but the rest of the stem is solid and alive. It's got plenty of side buds forming so am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get growth from these.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

DiCasS wrote:Thanks Phil and well spotted. Yes that's a taiwaniana behind the Dasylirion. Hows it done? Eerm, well it's totally defoliated, but it does that every year, but this year I've lost the top 4inches (10 cm.) but the rest of the stem is solid and alive. It's got plenty of side buds forming so am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get growth from these.

Di
Superb plant it's defo on my want list no3 behind a mature Trachycarpus and a Trex .icon_thumright hope your garden perks up this summer happy jungle-ing
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm really taken aback Phil, it's just started to grow again, happily I was wrong :D
So yes, they really are hardy, even though I'd read too that they were good only to about -6. The one I bought was 'Rachel', a red one, from CGF.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

Great news fingers crossed for mine then. Actually my red one is doing much better than the pink or yellow ones icon_cheers
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Phil, they have a number of the yellow ones planted out in Hydehall left over winter, I'm going back over there soon, will take a look to see how they fared last winter when I do.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

How have you planted yours I have two in bark and one in limestone chippings, they are all growing well and have been in bloom since April ?