Tacca chantrieri

LONGK

Tacca chantrieri

Post by LONGK »

Not a hardy tropical, but does anyone have any advice on care for this plant?
I bought it at the weekend with a 50% discount as the bloom was over. It's a large mature plant, to be honest I didn't realise quite how large it was until I had to make room for it!
Humidity is taken care of, but I've also read that it's good to keep the leaf axils topped up with water - any thoughts?
What and how often should I feed it?
I've tried and failed to grow this from seed more than once, so the plan is to collect seed from this and sow them fresh. Is there any technique that I need to use to pollinate (or more than one plant maybe)?
Attachments
DSC_0218.jpg
Troppoz

Re: Tacca chantrieri

Post by Troppoz »

Ive grown many fo these from seed over the years and have never heard about the 'water them in the leaf axils' thing. One thing looking at your plant is that Id suggest you pot it up since it looks way too large for that pot. They like regular watering but Id keep them almost dry over winter, and being a large leafed plant they appreciate a regular fertilising of a high nitrogen based product, fish emulsion is good as is a seaweed solution.

As for pollination it just seemed to happen naturally with my plants but that could be because we have the right pollinator over here. I couldnt even hazard a guess as how to manually pollinate icon_scratch

Good luck!

Sean
LONGK

Re: Tacca chantrieri

Post by LONGK »

Tropoz - thank you for you reply.
Pot too small? It's three times the size of the one that it came out of (photo taken just after re-potting)! I guess that I'll re-pot again in the spring as there are a few side shoots that I'd like to pot up individually anyway.
However, it's clearly happy with my care as it has TWO new flower stems growing! One stands 25cm high, the other 20cm at the moment. Unlike the leaves, which are slow growing, you can almost see the flower stems growing. As you can imagine, I'm chuffed!